Hello everyone! Got a question regarding Worthington HP 120 tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am glad I am out of this business wise but the failure rate is due to not prestressing the tanks. Hysteria does not solve the issue. PST had the same issues and everyone seems more than satisfied with their safety record. Worthington makes a fine product and this is a ripple in the water. There is no safety issue I am aware of.

You will note I said "supposed to be" not "are"! What kind of a failure rate are you seeing on these tanks?

The current explanation that I have been hearing is that the zinc coating (and the mixed zinc/steel layer several thou thick that froms between the zinc layer and the steel) is less elastic that the steel, and inhibits the tank wall's return to the prepressurized state, so that the tank shows too much permanent expansion. The rumor I have heard is that Worthington wants to test the tanks on the basis of elastic rather than permanent expansion, which would mean putting REEs on the tanks. Have your heard anything different? I would be nice if they can work something out, so any special procedure can be DOT-mandated, rather than the situation we have now where Worthington and PST have a procedure, but the hydroshop doesn't have to do it.

On the other hand, I had a guy at one of the largest US vendors of these tanks swear to me the other day that the problem had nothing to do with the metallurgy or construction of the tanks, but only the fact that the rough zinc coating held more bubbles on the outside of the tank than a painted surface, and these were enough to skew the test results! Said he had gotten this directly from Worthington, and PST had told him the same thing years ago.

I am glad I am out of this business wise but the failure rate is due to not prestressing the tanks. Hysteria does not solve the issue. PST had the same issues and everyone seems more than satisfied with their safety record. Worthington makes a fine product and this is a ripple in the water. There is no safety issue I am aware of.

Lastest info:

Factory sources are saying Galvanize coating is too thick at manufacture. That’s one of the problems. Worthington Pres. meet with DOT last week and asked to change special permit to test by REE. That will help the one problem, but E14157’s are still not stopping the run out of expansion. This is a problem with both PST and these Worthington’s. REE is already on the tanks and the last two I failed would have passed by REE.

This is a manufacturing problem. only PST & Worthington’s Galvanized tanks are having this problem. Asahi’s is not having this problem, Faber, TW, Norris steel do not have this kind of problems.

XSscuba is now including shipping. They heard you guys.

Anyone with Worthington E14157 hold off with any needed hydro for a while, Things are changing!!!!

I just bought a REE94 X7 120 hp tank will i be having issues with this in 5 years or will this tank last me a long while which is the reason i dropped some coin on it.

You will be fine bigrich954rr

bolting-horse1-tiny.jpg

Five years is like a thousand

I just bought a REE94 X7 120 hp tank will i be having issues with this in 5 years or will this tank last me a long while which is the reason i dropped some coin on it.

You might, we are still waiting for a change/update from the DOT, I have stopped testing all Worthington SP14157 and their galvanized 3AA. Everyone that was tested has failed, as of this date

I just had mine 130's hydro'ed this past April both passed. Have 3 100's with hydro's coming up next year.

As of now, my understanding is Worthington is replacing any cylinder that does not pass hydro. I would still buy them!

Back
Top Bottom