Hello from Newb in South Carolina!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2oSki2Live

Reaction score
Well hello to all of you out there, experienced or newbies (like me) that have call this forum home! I figured if I am going to be spending time on here, I should introduce myself.

I live in South Carolina, up in the northwestern part of the state, affectionately referred to as Upstate. Not far from the mountains, as well as a dive site known by many on here as Jocassee lake.

I recently got a "taste" of diving when I was in Cozumel and took a "discover scuba" course. After I completed the basic skills I knew that I wanted to do more, but also was not comfortable doing a 35-40ft dive that was suggested. Call me crazy, but I would like to think that it's much better to practice the skills multiple times instead of just a couple times of emptying the mask, "losing" and then finding the regulator, using the octupus, etc.

That said, I know that I now want to get OW certified and have found very quickly from friends here in the Upstate a great dive shop to complete this at. Now all I need to do is make the time to do so!

So anyway, that's a short bit of my story. Excited to begin, have some of the basic fears but know also they can be conquered, looking forward to joining all those that have achieved the milestone of OW certification.

Thanks for all the knowledge shared here!

Welcome to ScubaBoard! I'm sure I'll see you at the lake sometime.

Hi H2oSki2Live, and welcome to ScubaBoard. Thanks for the nice intro.
David

Hello and welcome to the board. There is no substitute for good practice and you can never practice enough. Always dive to your limits and not to others, if they are wider and deeper than yours. Enjoy the OW course and let us know how it goes. Be safe.

Yep, you're right. I did 100 feet on Discover Scuba, but then - I have always been the cowboy. You'll do well...

:cowboy2: don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

Thanks all for the welcome's.

Yesterday evening I was looking through some old threads and confirmed what I suspected, that my mask had not been properly fit to my face on the Discover Scuba. I tried to tell the instructor that in the dive shop but he just breezed over it and I figured, "well he's the instructor, he knows best". No more mistakes like that. In the future if something doesn't seem right to me, regardless of if I'm right, I'll keep asking until I understand or get a better answer.

Knowing that also encourages me to really go out and get my OW Cert now!

H2oSki2Live:
Thanks all for the welcome's.

Yesterday evening I was looking through some old threads and confirmed what I suspected, that my mask had not been properly fit to my face on the Discover Scuba. I tried to tell the instructor that in the dive shop but he just breezed over it and I figured, "well he's the instructor, he knows best". No more mistakes like that. In the future if something doesn't seem right to me, regardless of if I'm right, I'll keep asking until I understand or get a better answer.

Knowing that also encourages me to really go out and get my OW Cert now!
Super news! :thumb: That's SB at its best, helping a newbie with something a poor instructor screwed up. I used my old snorkel mask on my discover dives, constantly leaking - and I finally learned that they cheap plastic mask had changed shape with time leaving a leak on the lens itself. A good, silicone skirted mask that fits well is very important. but it looks like you've already learned that here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom