Hello From Ohio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Matthew,

Welcome to the board. I'm not too far from you (Hilliard area)

There are a couple of quarries in Ohio you might try. Circleville is the closest from here. It's shallow (20 feet) so it's a good place to practice, try out new gear, etc. Sometimes in the summer I even take a dive there after work because it's only about 45 minutes from the west side of Columbus. If you are into ice diving, I know lots of guys who do that there. Lakeview Park (Lancaster) is also shallow. The viz varies, but there are guidelines laid down that will take you to the different sites.

Portage quarry is my favorite, good viz, easy entry, and nice camping on site. Lots of cool stuff to see. Gilboa is a good place for deep diving. It has a shallow side (around 45-55 feet) and a deep side (up to 130 ft), both stay pretty cold all the time, but the viz is good. Whitestar is a nice state park, excellent viz but they allow fishing in the non-diving side, so there are fewer fish to see than in the other places. Still lots of fun though.

I give you the scoop on the local dive clubs if you want, just let me know.

I've also dove Key Largo three times, and done some spring diving in Florida (Ginnie Springs, Paradise Springs, and Blue Grotto), those are nice places too.

Take care and be safe (both diving and firefighting)
Laura

Gilboa is a good place for deep diving. It has a shallow side (around 45-55 feet) and a deep side (up to 130 ft), both stay pretty cold all the time, but the viz is good.
Laura

Most of the attractions at Gilboa are in 25-35 feet of water and the temperature can get over 70 degrees in late August if we have a hot summer :D It's best to dive it during the week in the summer because all the students on the weekends mess the visibility up pretty bad.
Ber :lilbunny:

Hey Matt, drop a line if you want to go diving. I'm in Westerville which is not far from you either.

The local quarries, Lake Erie or the St. Lawrence or maybe Florida or anyplace else we can think of. :)

Randy

Thanks for the info. I am really looking forward to getting wet again. Let me know about those dive clubs.

Back
Top Bottom