Hello from Singapore!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abrmy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all, I have been lurking for a few years now and have just created an account because I always have questions and very little friends who dive enough to answer me.

Now a quick intro bout myself.

I live in Singapore and I’m fairly new to diving, even though I did my PADI OW in Malaysia more than 10 years ago but never dived because I was still studying and couldn’t afford to travel and dive.

I was ready to dive right back in after doing a refresher and AOW in 2019, then the pandemic came and sink sank sunk all my plans. Inexperienced and quite desperate, I did a dive locally at Pulau Hantu notorious for its bad viz (>1m when I went) and I immediately lost my buddy while descending.
Needless to say after that happened I decided not to dive locally and just spent the rest of lockdown watching, reading and researching dive things online.

When the borders re-opened, I did a mini tour in Bali at Tulamben, Amed, Padangbai, Lembongan & Nusa Penida. The first dive was in Tulamben at the Liberty wreck. It blew my f mind and I kept smiling and laughing even after surfacing. DM Pak Azis probably thought I was narc’d from the shallow dive lol.

Very blessed to be living in Singapore because there are so many places to dive nearby.

Went to Phuket and did the dives with the big boats from Chalong. Halfway through one of the dives my DM and I heard a loud explosion from a distance, her eyes opened real big and started to look around for the source. Back on the boat I asked her what it was but she doesn’t know either. That evening I found out through SB about the existence of dynamite fishing, I hope it wasn’t what we heard.

Today I have 60+ logged and I just ran out of pages on my logbook. My late father was an avid diver back in the 80’s before I was born and I think it influenced me even though he dissuaded me from even starting, he said it’ll burn a hole in my pocket, and I have found it to be so.

Fun fact if you’ve read all the way - My dad got all his cards (all the way to assistant instructor) at Jeddah Sea Sports with Victor Organ - this name ring a bell for the OGs?

Reactions: ojo
Welcome to ScubaBoard @abrmy

You are lucky to be in Singapore and near what I would say is the best diving globally i.e. The Coral Triangle of Indonesia, East Malaysia and the Philippines, plus these wee islands in the Pacific area.

Victor Organ, there's a name from the past. I'm not sure what happened to him, but he still existed in the mid-90s and ran his own dive agency.

His wife was Filipino so perhaps he retired there?

Welcome to SB, and back to diving. You're lucky to live in Singapore and be central to many dive locations. I'm based in Panglao in the Philippines and we get lots of Singaporean divers and free divers here. In fact, one of the Singaporean free dive schools (Apnea 42) just helped run a free dive competition here last weekend.

Welcome to SB, and back to diving. You're lucky to live in Singapore and be central to many dive locations. I'm based in Panglao in the Philippines and we get lots of Singaporean divers and free divers here. In fact, one of the Singaporean free dive schools (Apnea 42) just helped run a free dive competition here last weekend.

Thanks, Micko. Very fortunate indeed to have direct flights that are a few hours away to many amazing dive sites. Bohol is quite popular in my circle of friends here and my partner did her OW at Panglao some years back. We’ve been toying with going there later this year as well. If only there were direct flights from Singapore! Oh yes I remember Daniel one of the instructors from Apnea 42 mentioning the dive competition when I spoke to him at ADEX.

Back
Top Bottom