Hello from SLO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve in SLO

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,
My name is Steve and I live in San Luis Obispo, California, hence my clever user name.
I was originally NAUI certified in 1976 at 15 years old. My first dive (prior to certification) was off Lovers Point in Pacific Grove with a 38 USN oxygen tank and a double hose Healthways regulator. I was wearing a torn up beavertail top with no bottoms nor hood. It took me about 15 minutes to run out of air in 15 to 20 feet of water, but after playing with a sea otter and a seal I was hooked (and hypothermic). I dove extensively in the Monterey area for the next few years, then in Santa Barbara and Channel Islands during time at the Marine Science Institute at UCSB. I dove in Hawaii for eight years whenever I could during my medical training, along with some sites in Malaysia and Micronesia. I then went radio silent 20 years ago when I moved back to California to a difficult job and new kids. I just rediscovered the joy with a trip to Cozumel a couple of weeks ago and am now looking to hook at least one of my teenagers and explore local sites.
Other hobbies along the way have included backpacking, rock climbing, teasing my brother, photography, bicycle racing, auto racing, motorcycle racing and tennis.
Current vices include bicycles, vintage watches and acoustic guitars.
Oh, and good beer. I like good beer.
That's me in a nutshell. I hope to hang around here a bit. I expect to learn a lot and hope I can contribute in someway, if in no other way than to say "I did most of my diving with a horse collar flotation device – what are you complaining about?"
Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:
STEVE,
I live in PB my son in AG...welcome to CenCal

FYI the 38s generally from a USN WW 11 aircraft Corsair etc the B52 cylinders were the big 90s at 1800 PSI.

Every year SLO UW S&R sponsors a DivCon in early March

The following is a copy of last years conference

7th Annual Diver Education Conference
March 12, 2016 8:00 Am - 6:00 Pm
Pacific Gas & Electric - Energy Education Center
6588 Ontario Road, Avila Beach, CA.

Topics and order of presentation subject to change

Welcome – Facility Description – Format -

Introduction Dr. Sam Miller III

Dive Historian – Published UW Photographer,
Charter Member Los Angeles UW Photographic Society1957
Co-Flounder Orange County UW Photographic Society 1966
"The Evolution of Underwater Photography"

Introduction Patrick Smith

Commercial & Scientific Diver, MA in Public History & Historic Preservation 0900 - 0955 Co-Author "Shipwrecks of Southern California" The B-29 Superfortress of Lake Mead

0955-1010 BREAK
-
Introduction Michael D. Harris

California Department of Fish & Wildlife, Senior Environmental Scientist
Dramatic Increase in Sea Otter Mortality from White Sharks in California The Use of Closed Circuit Rebreathers to Catch Selected Sea Otters

Introduction Karl Huggins

USC Hyperbaric Chamber - Director
Decompression Management Recommendations for the Public Safety Diver

1220 – 1330 LUNCH BREAK

Introduction Dr. Sam Miller IV

Hyperbaric & Undersea Medicine - Emergency Medicine
Marion Medical Center Emergency Physician Sea Sickness and Related Issues for the Diver

Introduction Dr. Steven R. Sabo

Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine, Sports Medicine and Family Medicine 1432-1530 Pacific Central Coast Clinic, San Luis Obispo, California
Rescue Collapse & Hypothermia Associated with the Rescue of Immersion Victims

1530-1540 BREAK -

Introduction Devon Tompkins

Owner, Pacific Housing Repair
Techniques for Taking UW Images in Poor Visibility

Introduction Michael Darlington

Sergeant – Monterey County Sheriff’s Office,
Enforcement Operations Bureau
Review of 2015 Dive Team Operations

If interested contact Chuck at Depth Perceptions in Bear Valley shopping center
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SDM

Welcome to SB. I got my M.A. and Ph.D. while at UCSB and had a lab down by the MSI back in the early 90s

Thank you, Stoo
Sam: thanks for the correction on the air bottle. I was just parroting back with my stepdad told me at the time. Thanks also for the information regarding the conference. I will check with Chuck. He has a nice little shop and just serviced a reg for me.
drbill: I was about 10 years out of there when you arrived. Many a day I caught dinner by campus point. I had the good fortune of doing primary productivity research with the MSI, and spent about 2 months of my senior year aboard ships. I was also lucky enough to have access to a Boston whaler and free air. Good times, indeed.

Hombre
FYI

Subject:
2017 Diver Education Conference
Date: Jan 9, 2017 10:19 AM
Good morning and I hope your New Year is starting off well!

This years Diver Education Conference is scheduled for Saturday March 11, 2017 and barring any schedule conflicts will be held once again at the PG&E Energy Education Center in Avila Beach, 8:00 Am - 6:00 Pm. I am looking for your input and availability for this years presentations - On board already are Sam Miller III, Deputy John McKenney, and Wilderness Medicine Instructor Paul Buechner.

At the end of this week I will send the first event announcements to previous attendee's and would like to follow up in the next week or so additional conference information including speaker & topic listings.

Looking forward to another great event!

Cheers

Chuck Rawlinson
Depth Perceptions Diving Services
12322 Los Osos Valley Road
San Luis Obispo, CA. 93405
805-595-3631
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Make certain that you get on the list and enroll ASAP ..space is very limited-- Yet it is one of the best non- professional Dive Con in the US.

I will be chatting about the development of the spear gun beginning with the Jab stick to modem guns and will have perhaps 30 or more antique shooten irons on display (they have to be I used them)

John is the late Jack Mc Kinney's son -- same humor same great UW movies
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Were you at USB with the discoverer of the Titanic Bob Ballard ? When I was in deep submergence with Andy Rechnitzer Bob was a summer hire on the program...Bob certainly did him self proud -- lot of stories for the dark of the night over a cool one

Cheers
SDM 111

Hombre
FYI

Subject:
2017 Diver Education Conference
Date: Jan 9, 2017 10:19 AM
Good morning and I hope your New Year is starting off well!

This years Diver Education Conference is scheduled for Saturday March 11, 2017 and barring any schedule conflicts will be held once again at the PG&E Energy Education Center in Avila Beach, 8:00 Am - 6:00 Pm. I am looking for your input and availability for this years presentations - On board already are Sam Miller III, Deputy John McKenney, and Wilderness Medicine Instructor Paul Buechner.

At the end of this week I will send the first event announcements to previous attendee's and would like to follow up in the next week or so additional conference information including speaker & topic listings.

Looking forward to another great event!

Cheers

Chuck Rawlinson
Depth Perceptions Diving Services
12322 Los Osos Valley Road
San Luis Obispo, CA. 93405
805-595-3631
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Make certain that you get on the list and enroll ASAP ..space is very limited-- Yet it is one of the best non- professional Dive Con in the US.

I will be chatting about the development of the spear gun beginning with the Jab stick to modem guns and will have perhaps 30 or more antique shooten irons on display (they have to be I used them)

John is the late Jack Mc Kinney's son -- same humor same great UW movies
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Were you at USB with the discoverer of the Titanic Bob Ballard ? When I was in deep submergence with Andy Rechnitzer Bob was a summer hire on the program...Bob certainly did him self proud -- lot of stories for the dark of the night over a cool one

Cheers
SDM 111

howdy and welcome from southeast Florida......that's quite a intro...what years were you in Hawaii ?...thanks for sharing.

Hi Sam, I just got on the Dive Con list and look forward to hearing you speak. Bob B was there about 12 years before me.
iamrushman: Thanks! I was on call and a bit bored when I wrote that. I figure I can show it to my kids some day to prove that I had a life before them. I was in HI from 1989 to 1997. Dove off Oahu. 5 Fingers, Electric Beach, Kbay, 3 Tables, etc.

Hi Steve. Roger here from northern Maine. I'm new to the site as well and hoping to be able to meet up with fellow divers, gain some new knowledge and get to experience some great diving in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom