Hello from Southern France

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I am an old new diver – I am originally German and started scuba diving in 1994 in Guadeloupe because my French was so bad I thought our group of friends would go snorkelling and was rather looking for a lazy day sunbathing on the beach. But I did not want to chick out last minute when I realised it was scuba diving… then got completely hooked by all the beautiful fish and dived regularly 94-98 when living there.

But since husband did not dive and we lived only in land locked countries afterwards, only took it up again in 2018 when living in Madagascar and realised the kids were old enough to start as well (13,15,17) so we all did our CMAS** there (SSI AOW for the youngest). Second time for me as I felt too much had changed (octopus? computers?).

Now teleworking all summer from France we are discovering our home base Marseille (1,5 hour drive away) underwater…not bad at all (even though a bit colder)!!! But should head back to Eastern Africa next month.

Have been reading on and off the forum for a while to get great info on improving skills and purchasing material and diving travel (at least one can dream and plan for after covid times).

Looking forward to learning lots from you all and thanks for letting me join!

Hi all,

I am an old new diver – I am originally German and started scuba diving in 1994 in Guadeloupe because my French was so bad I thought our group of friends would go snorkelling and was rather looking for a lazy day sunbathing on the beach. But I did not want to chick out last minute when I realised it was scuba diving… then got completely hooked by all the beautiful fish and dived regularly 94-98 when living there.

But since husband did not dive and we lived only in land locked countries afterwards, only took it up again in 2018 when living in Madagascar and realised the kids were old enough to start as well (13,15,17) so we all did our CMAS** there (SSI AOW for the youngest). Second time for me as I felt too much had changed (octopus? computers?).

Now teleworking all summer from France we are discovering our home base Marseille (1,5 hour drive away) underwater…not bad at all (even though a bit colder)!!! But should head back to Eastern Africa next month.

Have been reading on and off the forum for a while to get great info on improving skills and purchasing material and diving travel (at least one can dream and plan for after covid times).

Looking forward to learning lots from you all and thanks for letting me join!
Hello. Welcome to the board.
Cheers.

Hi Bubble99

Welcome

Welcome to Scubaboard. The south of France is a beautiful area.

Been more than 10 years since I have been to the south of France. We flew in and out of the airport in Marseille . I was there for the F1 race in Monte Carlo but we stayed near Eze so got to visit Nice, St Tropez, and all the nearby town. I was not a diver back in those days so did not dive there.

Enjoy your telework, and safe diving to you!

Hello welcome
There are many nice things to do in southern france: the Rubis submarine, etc.
If you like you can also write some posts on dives you will make there in the proper section, so others might follow your steps

Hi and welcome !

Or should I say wilkommen ? :wink:

Many nice places to dive in southern France : Marseille, le Var (Hyères, le Lavandou, Port Cros and Porquerolles), Alpes Maritimes (Nice, Villefranche).

Learnt to dive there, going back each summer. Can't get enough of it. :)

Oups - thanks so much for the nice welcome messages! Just saw them now:facepalm:even though I was reading quite a bit on the forum since. Guess I have not worked out how to turn on notifications when somebody answers
Am back in Ethiopia since November but indeed should write a bit about my diving summer in France. We can reach quite a few sites from Sètes to Hyères in 1.5 hours or St Tropez in 2.5 and with two weeks holidays and nearly all weekends diving we did cover quite a bit - but far from all! In any case can really recommend the region, many different types of dive sites for all kind of preferences and especially with covid good thing (for us not the clubs I guess) was that it was not so full and a great atmosphere in most centers

So, can you tell us what was your favourite dive in Southern France ? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom