Hello: Thinking of going pro, need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TimMorrison

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I’ve been a diver for a while but have been surrounded by people I went to class with. So I decided to join a forum so I could ask some questions my peers from class couldn’t answer. So hopefully some of you can help. I’m thinking about becoming a Dive Instructor. I have an opportunity this summer to go to Marathon Keys in Florida International Career Diving Institute At Halls to a training course that will get me finished in this goal. But the school doesn’t offer PADI Instructor, but does offer NAUI. Up until now I have only been to PADI courses.

So my question to you is this; what are the benefits to being an instructor under either program? Are there any draw backs I should know before I make my decision? Is there a big difference in the programs? A few articles I have read didn’t speak highly of PADI or the training I had. So I figured I would ask the dive community at large. Would love to hear what my peers think. This of course also goes out to any students. Let me know what you thought of the course and training you had.

V/R
Stuck In Baghdad, Iraq

This thread will most likely go in the direction of "the instructor makes the training, not the agency". Which I totally agree with. However, looking at your logged dives of 16-50, I would highly recommend you put at least another 200 dives on top of that before becoming an instructor.

:azvatar: Hello there TimMorrison, my name is Matt and I wanted to welcome you to the community. I think it’s the best board on the internet for divers. The people on here make it a really friendly place. It’s a great place to see what’s going on with divers. Just wanted to make you feel welcome! If you’d like to chat, please PM me.

Take care and Safe Diving.

Click here to greet a new member!
:thumb:
No experience needed and it feels great!

TimMorrison:
But the school doesn’t offer PADI Instructor, but does offer NAUI. Up until now I have only been to PADI courses.

<other stuff snipped> Is there a big difference in the programs?
Welcome to ScubaBoard. Most places looking to hire a scuba instructor will look at other ancillary data besides whether your card reads "PADI" or "NAUI". For the purposes of getting employed, its pretty much equivalent. There may be more PADI facilities world-wide, however, that may not matter depending on where specifically you'd like to go. Plus, cross-overs are not terribly difficult - once you are a NAUI instructor you can also qualify to be a PADI instructor - the two are not mutually exclusive. Good luck with your decision.

And don't forget to duck over there...

Doc

Recreational agencies all train to pretty much the same standard; once you're an open water instructor you can easily cross over to whatever the shop wants - not without effort or without money (of course) but it's also not a huge deal. So, I wouldn't lose any sleep over which agency you're with to start with, and I certainly wouldn't pass up an opportunity to earn the instructor ticket because of an agency affiliation.
Good luck.
--------
Good hunting; keep low, check six.
Rick

What are you planning to do once you get your instructor certification?

Lots of times, a local dive shop will be associated with just one agency for basic open water training. You should find out what agencies are used at the dive shops in whatever area you intend to move to.

Another good thing to find out is how easy it is to do a cross-certification with other agencies once you get certified at PADI, or NAUI, or SSI.

Howdy!

And welcome to SB - the biggest, the best, the fastest growing, and :D the friendliest!
If you'll click ScubaBoard.com above, you'll be taken to our long list of forums, a wealth of information and resources. At the bottom, be sure to notice the Local & Singles Dive Club forums.

PM me if I can help you learn your way around; that is - click my username to the upper left, then follow the prompts to send me a "Personal Message." :thumb:

:cowboy: don

Well some folks have asked me what I plan on doing when I finish the course. My immediate goal is to work part time with a dive shop in my area. I’m willing to do it just for the cost of air and a discount at the shop.

I’m looking for something to help me take a break from studying for my Masters degree which I am starting this fall. I have a full time job as a Field Support Engineer and Instructor for military software, hence the reason I have been over here in Baghdad for almost a year. So between the job and the college I don’t think I will have time to get the instructor cert for at least another 3 years (realistically 5 years with having kids and all). But this summer when I get back I have 30 days vacation coming and plan on using it. Definitely need to since I have literally not had a day off since August 9 2004.

I live between Austin and San Antonio Texas. I have looked at the dive shops in the area and there seems to be a few more PADI shops than NAUI. But the universities in San Marcos (10 miles away) and the University in Austin (Hook ‘Em Horns) both have NAUI training programs. So I thought it would be fun and interesting to teach SCUBA at the college level. I used to teach sailing in college, that was much fun.

PS, if anyone is interested in looking at pictures of places here you can go to my website. I have about 1000 photos posted now. WWW.KATM.US

Back
Top Bottom