Help about liveaboard!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thistle

Registered
Reaction score
I need info about liveaboard in the Red Sea area, like reliable dive tour operators, sites, worst time of the year to dive there.

I am thinking about going to Sudan's water. I understand most of the trips are operated from the Red Sea area. What about piracy? Some people are laughing a lot about these wories; two years ago a saw an article in the Newsweek about pirates active in the area and there was nothing to laugh about. Maybe things changed.

An ideea about costs will help, I am planning a 8 days trip, 5 days on the boat, 3 dives a day, rented equipment included.
Thanks a lot.
Victor

Don't know about Sudan but you should be able to get a good Red Sea liveabord for around 800-900 GBP.

As to piracy I've been travelling there for 3 years and never heard it mentioned....

There are no piracy in sudanese waters that I've heard of, but some has been reported in Yemeni waters as well as in Somali waters (which is really not the Red Sea, but Gulf of Aden). Border lines with Eritrea are however sensitive areas and best avoided.

When you say "most trips are operated from the Red Sea area" I'm not quite sure what you mean, but these days all liveaboards for sudanese waters operates out of Port Sudan. Some years ago it was possible to go from Egypt and then motor/dive your way down to Port Sudan and then back up to Egypt again. I have done this once. Unfortunatelly this is no longer possible, unless you catch a transition trip with one of the italian yachts either going to Sudan from the med. or when they leave the Sudan for the med.

Allthogh it is possible to go for one week, I'd strongly reccomend you to go for 14 days since the start up cost for a Sudanese dive safari is more expensive than one in Egypt. To get to Port Sudan you fly from Cairo with Sudan Air, leaves every saturday night.

Cost Cairo-Port Sudan RT: app. US$400.

Then you have to pay tourist tax and dive permission.

Cost app. US$ 100 for one week, US$ 180 for two weeks.

Cost for liveaboard app. 700-800 US$ / week.

+flight to Cairo

Roumors say that there will be a new flight travelling from Milan or Rome, via Saana (Yemen) and then to Port Sudan.

You also need a tourist visa for Sudan, which can be a bit of a hassle to get hold of. This you will need help with from either a travel agent or directly from the boats agent in Port Sudan.

Please note that most liveaboards only offer two dives a day and one night dive a week. To avoid this, better gather a group of divers and charter a ship and negotiate / write a contract BEFORE you pay. I have done this a couple of times with different ships and have now found a favourite called the Don Questo. As far as I'm concerned this ship offers superior service compared to other yachts in Port Sudan. Some of them doesn't even look sea worthy. Other boats to reccomend: Felicidad II and SY Elegante.

Conditions can be spartan, however the diving is first class.

The season for Sudan is september-may, since there are no boats with Air Condition. I have been in Sudan in july once (on AC ship) and it was very hot. The water was more than 30 C=sharks went deep. But we had alot of manta rays. Best season for sharks is the winter/spring. Best season for mantas is fall (september/october).

Can't direct you to any specific tour operators (I always deal directly with the ships owners) but there are quite some in Italy and also one in Germany (Sprirosub) and Diving World in London who arrange trips to Sudan. But please note that the travel agency is of less importance. It is the ship and its captain and crew that will make it a good or a bad trip.

good luck

Christian

Hi Victor,
Christian from Stockholm answered most of your questions. To get details of the Sudan liveaboards you may look at the General Specifications of M/Y Felicidad II and S/Y Ernesto Leone in the website of www.sds-swiss.com and ask for additional information.
Best wishes

hi,
We are going to marsa ghalib this friday to have 6 days private liveaboard with avery convenient price in deep south of red sea where we have some dive spots such as st.john just 10 miles near to sudan.
we will be back on 16th of september. so, keep in touch to have some info.
engin

Thanks all of you for the detailed info, advice and best wishes.
Engin, I am looking forward to the new info when you get back.
Dive well.
Victor

Another question if I may,
I am new to liveaboard and i would like 3 dives a day but some guys said it does not make sense.
Main reason is nitrogen retention factor and the fact that the last dive should be too shallow/limited bottom time. The other thing you can do is to limit the first dives in order for the last one be to worth doing.
This depends a lot on the adequate ("recommended") depth in the area.
Maybe the middle would be the best, some days 2 dives, some 3. However only 1 night dive/week seems a low ration to me.
What do you think about it?
P.S. others say too many dives a day is not fun, this one really confuses me

Hi i am off to a liveaboard in 2 weeks and plan on at least 3-4 dives a day. deep dives are great for the 20mins you are down there, but i had great dives at 10-15meters, plus i have my nitrox qualification which will help with nitrogen overload, i am going there to dive and that is what i want to do i am planning safe diving within my limits but if they only offer two dives a day then i could have stayed on land for that
:(

I have the same opinion, unfortunately I am not qualified for nixtrox but I will do the course first time I get the chance.

Back
Top Bottom