Help/advice please, Suunto Vyper gives inconsistent/incorrect "remaining air" info.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brownie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I purchased a Suunto Vyper (second-hand) as a backup for my Suunto D9. The D9 and transmitter are fine. Prior to a dive, the Vyper "pairs" with the transmitter correctly.. At the beginning of the dive the remaining "air time" reading is fine. But after 20 minutes into a dive, the remaining "air time" disappears and the word "FAIL" flashes a few times, then the "air time" reappears! But the "air time" that reappears is not correct: yesterday, the Vyper screen indicated I had 4500 PSI left half-way through a dive. And this is on a standard aluminum 80 tank that contains 3000 PSI. When I scan through the dive log, the initial read is 2900+ but half-way through the dive log it changes to 4500.

Any advice on how to get this remedied? This dive computer is not safe to use. I live in Toronto, Canada--where would I send this dive computer for servicing?

TIA
Elaine

Try replacing the battery in your transmitter. Be sure to us a 3 volt 1/2AA battery.

The 1/2AA battery comes in 2 flavors:
a) 3.0v
1679523720075.png

b) 3.6v
1679523737458.png

The OEM battery is a Varta 3.0v

The 3.6v will fit but can cause issues and even burnout the transmitter.

If you are getting wonky behavior/readings then start with replacing the battery. If that does not help then erase the transmitter code from your computer and redo the pairing procedure from scratch. Also take a look at the distance the transmitter is from the computer when diving. I have mine on a 6-inch hose coming out the right side of my 1st stage and wear my computer on my right wrist/forearm.

If none of the above fixes things for you then perhaps you have a faulty transmitter. I am not tremendously far from you, down in the Jamestown NY area....if you want to borrow one of my transmitters to further test if the above doesn't fix things, let me know. I will be up in the Buffalo area the middle of next month and am willing to meet around Niagara Falls.

Let me know.

Also, note that your computer is more likely a "Vyper Air"....the Vyper and the Vyper 2 were other computer models in the Suunto line up that were not wireless air integrated. For wireless air integrated computers of similar type, Suunto also made the Vytec and the Helio2...these 2 models use the same transmitter as the Vyper Air.

-Z

Hi @brownie

Did the computer work at first and does not now, or is it new to you and simply not working? Ask the person who sold it to you?
Hello @scubadada The computer was purchased on eBay. The vendor was selling it on behalf of a friend; I have emailed the vendor today, but have not heard back.

Worst case scenario: I have been scammed! Best case scenario: there is an inexpensive remedy for the problem through the manufacturer, Suunto. I was wondering if my description of the problem falls into the category of "defective sensor", wherein, I hope, Suunto replaces a defective component for free.
Try replacing the battery in your transmitter. Be sure to us a 3 volt 1/2AA battery.

The 1/2AA battery comes in 2 flavors:
a) 3.0v
View attachment 775644

b) 3.6v
View attachment 775645

The OEM battery is a Varta 3.0v

The 3.6v will fit but can cause issues and even burnout the transmitter.

If you are getting wonky behavior/readings then start with replacing the battery. If that does not help then erase the transmitter code from your computer and redo the pairing procedure from scratch. Also take a look at the distance the transmitter is from the computer when diving. I have mine on a 6-inch hose coming out the right side of my 1st stage and wear my computer on my right wrist/forearm.

If none of the above fixes things for you then perhaps you have a faulty transmitter. I am not tremendously far from you, down in the Jamestown NY area....if you want to borrow one of my transmitters to further test if the above doesn't fix things, let me know. I will be up in the Buffalo area the middle of next month and am willing to meet around Niagara Falls.

Let me know.

Also, note that your computer is more likely a "Vyper Air"....the Vyper and the Vyper 2 were other computer models in the Suunto line up that were not wireless air integrated. For wireless air integrated computers of similar type, Suunto also made the Vytec and the Helio2...these 2 models use the same transmitter as the Vyper Air.

-Z
Thank you @Zef for the battery recommendation. I will not use this dive computer until I get the battery issue sorted out. I think the transmitter is fine, as my Suunto D9 pairs with it and the D9 transmits data accurately.

According to Suunto's website there is a service center in Toronto at the following address:

Aquarius Scuba
4020 Dundas Street West
Toronto, M6S 4W6

Phone: 416-604-4203

If your computer/transmitter requires service, then I would strongly recommend just replacing it with a newer model/differnt brand. It is my understanding that computers and transmitters supposedly have been improved since the Vyper Air was initially put on the market.

My wife and I each dive the Vyper Air, and mine is ostensibly older than hers (given the blue bezel of mine and the black bezel of hers), and we have 4 transmitters in total. The plan was to find a Vyper Air for each of our 2 daughters to pair with our extra transmitters, but I have not seen any for sale at a decent price in the recent past.

-Z

According to Suunto's website there is a service center in Toronto at the following address:

Aquarius Scuba
4020 Dundas Street West
Toronto, M6S 4W6

Phone: 416-604-4203

If your computer/transmitter requires service, then I would strongly recommend just replacing it with a newer model/differnt brand. It is my understanding that computers and transmitters supposedly have been improved since the Vyper Air was initially put on the market.

My wife and I each dive the Vyper Air, and mine is ostensibly older than hers (given the blue bezel of mine and the black bezel of hers), and we have 4 transmitters in total. The plan was to find a Vyper Air for each of our 2 daughters to pair with our extra transmitters, but I have not seen any for sale at a decent price in the recent past.

-Z
Thank you. I am familiar with Aquarius Scuba. I am currently in Cozumel. When I return to Toronto I will seek them out!

Thank you. I am familiar with Aquarius Scuba. I am currently in Cozumel. When I return to Toronto I will seek them out!

Let us know how it works out.

If you feel pressed to have things checked out, and find yourself on the mainland, the closest Suunto repair center to Cozumel is in Cancun:

GRUPO MAK
Constitucion Mexicana L.1 Mza 267
Col. Doctores, Ejido A. V. Bonfil
Cancun, 77560
phone: 998 8819060

Jus an option.

Safe travels and happy diving.

-Z

Hello @scubadada The computer was purchased on eBay. The vendor was selling it on behalf of a friend; I have emailed the vendor today, but have not heard back.

Worst case scenario: I have been scammed! Best case scenario: there is an inexpensive remedy for the problem through the manufacturer, Suunto. I was wondering if my description of the problem falls into the category of "defective sensor", wherein, I hope, Suunto replaces a defective component for free.
Hi @brownie

A risk of buying used. This is not a pressure sensor problem. The transmitter simply sends the tank pressure to the computer, it is received, and displayed. There is something wacky happening here to give the wrong tank pressure and ATR. Your primary computer demonstrates that the transmitter is working correctly.

Best of luck with the Suunto dealer. Fortunately, you did not likely pay much for the computer. A new Suunto Vyper Novo Light goes for only 360 USD and is the least expensive AI computer.

Best of luck

Hi @brownie

A risk of buying used. This is not a pressure sensor problem. The transmitter simply sends the tank pressure to the computer, it is received, and displayed. There is something wacky happening here to give the wrong tank pressure and ATR. Your primary computer demonstrates that the transmitter is working correctly.

Best of luck with the Suunto dealer. Fortunately, you did not likely pay much for the computer. A new Suunto Vyper Novo Light goes for only 360 USD and is the least expensive AI computer.

Best of luck
Indeed. Thank you for your input--much appreciated.

An update on the problem with my eBay-purchase of a pre-used Vyper Air. I am in Cozumel now, heading home tomorrow. But I have contacted the eBay vendor and explained the problems with this DC. I used my cell phone to take multiple screen shots of two dives logged on this computer--they clearly show an irregularity in tracking remaining air pressure. I offered to send the vendor these pics, but he has taken me at my word, and has agreed to a refund. Good news!

Thank you @Zef and @scubadada for your thoughtful input and guidance. If our paths ever cross on a dive trip, please know it's my treat for a beverage of your choice.:wink:

When I get my refund, I'll put it towards something new!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom