Help Brad talk Thai... Koh Lanta or Khao Lak???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

B-Rad

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello fellow forum know-it-alls,
I need some advice on where to do my divemaster.
I've narrowed it down to 2 or 3 final candidates:
Koh Lanta and Khoa Lak

anyone been to either place and would recommend either or been there and want to comment on the diving, shops, town etc. etc.

the third place runner is Koh Phiphi... thought i'd throw that out there too.

any comments etc. etc. would be most appreciated

cheers
Brad

Khao Lak was really devastated by the tsunami. I haven't heard how well it has recovered by now. I'm sure some of our local members would know about that.

One plus point (for me) would be it's proximity to the main Similan islands. I'm not sure how much that might be pertinent to a DM course - but the diving is fantastic!! :D

Brad,

Do a search on DMT or divemaster options in this forum. You will find heaps of info. Consider the time of the year when you plan on doing your training as conditions vary as does the business aspect. I can see your desire to be in the best diving locations, but that does not always equate with customers.

Seasons to consider

Oct-May, Andaman
June-Oct, Gulf of Siam

I went the Samui route as my training could only be done during the summers because of work commitments. As you need to work with live students in the internship option, being at a shop that has enough business should be considered IMO. With the current economic crisis, perhaps you should consider more populated tourist areas because sadly, we should have a bit of a turn down in business in the very near future. Well established dive centers in high tourist areas should fare better than remote ones.

Good luck,

Arizona

Khao Lak was really devastated by the tsunami. I haven't heard how well it has recovered by now. I'm sure some of our local members would know about that.

One plus point (for me) would be it's proximity to the main Similan islands. I'm not sure how much that might be pertinent to a DM course - but the diving is fantastic!! :D

The first time I was in Khao Lak was 10 months after the tsunami. I told someone in Ko Samui I was heading to Khao Lak. He said Khao Lak was no longer there and was completely wiped out. I went there anyway and saw massive construction and relief efforts and plenty of buildings that had survived. The dive center The Sea Dragon was using had obviously survived as well as the nice little bar we hung out in after the trip. What really survived the tsnunami was the spirit and hospitality of the residents. Some of these people had seen one of the most cataclysmic events in recent history yet they approached life with a great optimism and dignity. Unlike other places in the world where people wait around for government agencies to do everything for them following natural disaster the people of Khao Lak got down to it and rebuilt what must have been a beautiful resort town.
I can't wait to go back there and see how far they have come in 3 years. The diving in the Similans is outstanding

Khao Lak has completely recovered.

At the moment I would not worry too much about a lack of students due to an economic downturn. It does not look like that will have a very big effect on the tourism here in the area.

My personal assessment of this: in the USA the credit crisis will hit the people on the street much harder than in other develeoped countries, since in the USA much more is done on credit than in other countries. With guests from the USA just a very small percentage of the divers in the area, the impact will not be that big.
I think the Carribean will be hit much harder than e.g. Phuket.

I'm a PADI MI based on Koh Samui and I can thouroughly recommend two dive centres in both Koh Lanta and Khao Lak where you will get excellent DM training.

Blue Planet in Koh Lanta are probably the 2nd busiest dive centre there and have very high standards - this is who I choose to dive with when I go on holiday there - and I'm choosy!!

An excellent Instructor who used to work for me is now based in Khao Lak and works for Similan Diving Safaris - his name is Stefan and he will give you very thorough training.

I'm only saying these guys because I know them and know the level of training they give is very high. I'm not saying other schools in the area don't - I just don't know them.

To choose between the two places: take into account how often they will be able to get you onto the boat diving; check out accomodation prices; are they busy with plenty of students; how experienced are the Instructors who will be teaching you; any chance of work afterwards?

Good luck

Lovin' the feedback so far, you guys are great...

What about distances to dive sites?? Is khao Lak just liveaboards to similan islands?? are there day sites to dive? Distances from Koh Lanta to sites??

Anyone?

cheers,
Brad

Check out Pimalai Divers on Koh Lanta. An excellent dive operation, with five star facilities and the best boat on Lanta !! Also the DM courses are run by a Master Instructor with lots of experience. E-mail them for more details.

hI,
I had a lifeboard to the Similan last december and it was stunning. So I'd suggest you Khao Lak. There are several dive shop there. I Knew Similan Safari Diving and it was really great!
Good luke

Back
Top Bottom