Help choose the right BC & regulator system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best advise I was ever giving when asking this question - get the store to rent/loan you the BC/Reg your looking to buy for a dive and test them out.

When I tried this I immediately went to a back inflate BCD (Zeagle Stilleto) because I liked how the rig felt in the water.

No you use a second stage for your octo that is identical to your primary. Both then have adjustment knobs. Removable parts on a bc are unnecessary. Basic one piece harness is all you really need. Shoot me your email via pm and I'll send you an article I wrote on the type I prefer for a bc when diving single tanks. It'll be later tonite. I have to teach a class after work.

Best advise I was ever giving when asking this question - get the store to rent/loan you the BC/Reg your looking to buy for a dive and test them out.

When I tried this I immediately went to a back inflate BCD (Zeagle Stilleto) because I liked how the rig felt in the water.

I got the rental gear for 1st dive, and they are not good enough. I have to buy new personal gear. I think it's the best.

And according to your experiment, the back inflate should be very good.

thank you

I'm thinking to buy these
I figured you were from the start. So nothing we can say about suitability, reliability or practicality is going to sway you. So I'm out...

Contact us again in a few years when you've realized the limitations of this gear and want to buy the correct gear. At that point our suggestions will make more sense to you.

Don't feel bad about it, most of us have done it - myself included. Some of us have closets full of "optimal" gear. I would except I dump it cheap when I no longer use it.

We just try to keep people from making the same mistakes we did...

:wink: LOOOL .. you figured that from the start .. hahaha

NO NO you can say whatever you want, I haven't buy the gear yet.

Alright, I have no experience in gears .. well I thought Mares would do good for couple years or more, till I move to next set.

I think because you are an experienced diver, you think that buying a gear for this purpose isn't a good idea. Then, you probably got a reason for that.

So, you want me to buy the best set in one time purchase.

According to "suitability, reliability or practicality", I don't have the experience of gears to know which is best.

So, tell me your recommendations for these 3 parts. Of course, I want to learn from you guys :)

That was my selection .. It's based on the price and the idea that Mares is a good one.

I got the rental gear for 1st dive, and they are not good enough. I have to buy new personal gear. I think it's the best.

And according to your experiment, the back inflate should be very good.

thank you

I think you misunderstand me - what I am suggesting is to have the store rent/loan you the gear you want to buy (Not the normal rental gear they hand out)

For example: My local shop rents Sherwood BCs and Scubapro Regs normally. I wanted to try an APEKS regulator and Zeagle BCD so I asked the shop if they would let me rent the "premium" gear over the "normal" rental equipment - and they did (they charged me an additional $10 I believe over the normal cost).

Because my shop was willing to do this for me they received my business for a number of years! Its worth asking to see if they will be willing to do it!

I posted earlier in this thread that the resources in my region are limited.

So, it's impossible to get new gear for rent, because also their rental gear are limited too. Also, there is small size BC for my preference.

My hometown is bigger and there are I think the best scuba shops in the kingdom, and I don't know if they offer this opportunity as I don't know their rental set gear.

And my work is in the small city, and my trips to my hometown are limited. I didn't visit my hometown for almost a month and my trips are in the weekends. Or during work days for very important tasks.

Last edited:
Alright, What are your suggestions for the complete set?

Reg, BC and Octo.

I also want to see how would you choose the gear, depending on which certain criteria and features.

Good Luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom