Help dawning tight fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrankT

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a shot of compressed air in the leg or sleeve when dawning their wetsuit (7mm)? I have read that it helps to get it on. Anything to watchout for?

Compressed air? Nope. I've blown into the sleeve of my suit with my mouth before but haven't seen a need for such a high tech solution as compressed air. Plastic bags or hair conditioner and water work well too. If it works though, hey..go for it..

Joe

FrankT:
Has anyone ever used a shot of compressed air in the leg or sleeve when dawning their wetsuit (7mm)? I have read that it helps to get it on. Anything to watchout for?

I've used compressed air to blow hand grips on to motorcycle or bicycle handle bars, but never to donn a wetsuit :11:

Best thing I've found for the slide and glide is a big shot of talc (baby powder) down the arm or leg.

Tobin

Some people use a spray that is mixture of water and hair conditioner. I use your basic shopping bag over my foot or hand, slips right through. Just make sure the bag doesn't end up blowing away and trashing the place.

I would never blast compressed air against my skin.

I remember about 40 years ago during apprentice training I worked in a shop with some HP air lines available, 6000psi+ and we had a very dramatic safety talk from the company doctor about how easy it was to blow air bubbles through the skin into the blood stream and then these bubbles could lodge in inconvenient places - like the brain for example.
He used some nice coloured charts and cited a series of accidents at that plant - all due to compressed air blasts against or near to the skin. :eyebrow:

See this quote:
Second, compressed air itself is also a serious hazard. On rare occasions, some of the compressed air can enter the blood stream through a break in the skin or through a body opening. An air bubble in the blood stream is known medically as an embolism, a dangerous medical condition in which a blood vessel is blocked, in this case, by an air bubble. An embolism of an artery can cause coma, paralysis or death depending upon its size, duration and location. While air embolisms are usually associated with incorrect diving procedures, they are possible with compressed air due to high pressures. While this seems improbable, the consequences of even a small quantity of air or other gas in the blood can quickly be fatal.

Unfortunately, horseplay has been a cause of some serious workplace accidents caused by individuals not aware of the hazards of compressed air, or proper work procedures.

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/safety_haz/compressed_air.html

Mix 2/3 water and 1/3 baby shampoo in a spray bottle. That's all you need.

miketsp:
I would never blast compressed air against my skin.

I remember about 40 years ago during apprentice training I worked in a shop with some HP air lines available, 6000psi+ and we had a very dramatic safety talk from the company doctor about how easy it was to blow air bubbles through the skin into the blood stream and then these bubbles could lodge in inconvenient places - like the brain for example.
He used some nice coloured charts and cited a series of accidents at that plant - all due to compressed air blasts against or near to the skin. :eyebrow:

See this quote:
Second, compressed air itself is also a serious hazard. On rare occasions, some of the compressed air can enter the blood stream through a break in the skin or through a body opening. An air bubble in the blood stream is known medically as an embolism, a dangerous medical condition in which a blood vessel is blocked, in this case, by an air bubble. An embolism of an artery can cause coma, paralysis or death depending upon its size, duration and location. While air embolisms are usually associated with incorrect diving procedures, they are possible with compressed air due to high pressures. While this seems improbable, the consequences of even a small quantity of air or other gas in the blood can quickly be fatal.

Unfortunately, horseplay has been a cause of some serious workplace accidents caused by individuals not aware of the hazards of compressed air, or proper work procedures.

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/safety_haz/compressed_air.html

thanks for saving me the post, iv got alot of saftey briefings about this, because i did alot of work in engine and especially in machine shops with compressed air lines.

This is one reason why all modern blow guns are equiped with a pressure diffuser or regulator that limits the discharge pressure. Even so it is poor practice to discharge it against your skin. Besides you may have an old gun!

As mentioned before... conditioner/water in a spray bottle. Don't let the conditioner exceed 50% or the gun may clog. If the gun won't shoot a mist it's to rich, water it some more. Also great in dive gloves, they slip right off when you're done.

My wife likes her Gold Bond.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom