Help! Ear Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bryliant

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello....
I am fairly new to diving with 22 dives, 10 of which logged over vacation in the last few weeks in Roatan and Belize. Certified for 3 years and only get to go once a year while on vacation.
My last dive, a week ago tomorrow, resulted in a clogged, full feeling, and partial deafness in one ear. Dive lasted about 50 minutes with a max depth of 65 feet. No equalization issues noticed although now I am wondering if I did something stupid and force equalized because no cold or other sinus issues. I do recall water entering my ears, which is normal for me. I thought I had gotten it out under water, but maybe not. I was dizzy and a bit nauseous after getting in the boat and noticed I could not hear at this point after I was out of the water. No real pain, just fullness, lack of hearing, and anxiety. I went straight to a doctor that same day who happened to be a hyperbaric physician. He looked at my ear and said it should clear on its own in 2-3 days noting my ear drum was fine although agitated (swollen and slightly pertruding). He told me to take PHENYLEPHRINE, and breathe steam from a pot on a stove for 10-15 minutes 3 times a day for 3 days. No more attempts at equalizing were also mentioned and I have abided by that.
2 days later, a day before we were scheduled to fly back to Colorado, I tried to see him again, but was not able to reach him so I came back home. Unfortunately any minimal improvement I noticed in the few days before flying home is now gone....I am concerned about permanent damage and what I need to do to make this situation improve.

Would anyoner happen to know of a good ENT in the Denver area familiar with SCUBA ear issues or is that even neccesary?

Any other advice or knowledge appreciate. This is starting to drive me a bit mad....I am used to having better than average hearing and everything sounds like its entering my ear through a porcelain hallway.

Hello....
I am fairly new to diving with 22 dives, 10 of which logged over vacation in the last few weeks in Roatan and Belize. Certified for 3 years and only get to go once a year while on vacation.
My last dive, a week ago tomorrow, resulted in a clogged, full feeling, and partial deafness in one ear. Dive lasted about 50 minutes with a max depth of 65 feet. No equalization issues noticed although now I am wondering if I did something stupid and force equalized because no cold or other sinus issues. I do recall water entering my ears, which is normal for me. I thought I had gotten it out under water, but maybe not. I was dizzy and a bit nauseous after getting in the boat and noticed I could not hear at this point after I was out of the water. No real pain, just fullness, lack of hearing, and anxiety. I went straight to a doctor that same day who happened to be a hyperbaric physician. He looked at my ear and said it should clear on its own in 2-3 days noting my ear drum was fine although agitated (swollen and slightly pertruding). He told me to take PHENYLEPHRINE, and breathe steam from a pot on a stove for 10-15 minutes 3 times a day for 3 days. No more attempts at equalizing were also mentioned and I have abided by that.
2 days later, a day before we were scheduled to fly back to Colorado, I tried to see him again, but was not able to reach him so I came back home. Unfortunately any minimal improvement I noticed in the few days before flying home is now gone....I am concerned about permanent damage and what I need to do to make this situation improve.

Would anyoner happen to know of a good ENT in the Denver area familiar with SCUBA ear issues or is that even neccesary?

Any other advice or knowledge appreciate. This is starting to drive me a bit mad....I am used to having better than average hearing and everything sounds like its entering my ear through a porcelain hallway.
DM sent.

Hello....

Call DAN Medicine: 919-684-2948 Option 4 or go to their website and click "Ask a Medic" They can give solid medical advice on this issue and give a list of physicians available in your area. You do not need to be a member of DAN to get this information.

Good luck.

Call DAN Medicine: 919-684-2948 Option 4 or go to their website and click "Ask a Medic" They can give solid medical advice on this issue and give a list of physicians available in your area. You do not need to be a member of DAN to get this information.

Good luck.
Thanks! I did reach out to them this morning and received some great information....now just to get in to a doc for a second look and hopefully some steroids that will start to help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom