http://www.diveheart.org/

Help getting an AED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then you have places like my wife's office - they have two but do not have them setup or available for use because they don't have people trained on them. Most of the employees who have been asked to train on the devices have declined out of concerns that if anything goes wrong they will face a wrongful death lawsuit. Maybe we can talk them out of theirs (brand new from last year) since they aren't saving any lives in a supply closet....

dashark:
Actually, for and AED, you do not have to have ACLS certification to operate it. Lay people can operate them with a much more simple certification, including CPR.

I suspect fisherdvm's point was that while AEDs are relatively expensive, the older defibrillators are available cheap or it'd be easy to find a donor for them.

But how many DMs are likely to be Paramedics or RNs? Some, I'd suspect, but not enough to make it worthwhile to deploy a piece of gear only they could use...

The nice thing about AEDs is that it's very simple to use... The add-on to the normal CPR class is knowing roughly where to put the pads and repeating the directions the device gives.

"Stay clear of the patient" "STAY CLEAR!"

ok, a bit oversimplified, but not too much. :)

Hi, I am an independent manufacturers rep and Zoll is a line of AED's we sell. If you would like to pm me I will see it that you get the info you need. I will also talk to the manufacturer regarding re furbished AED's. Incidently, you would need training and a cert (at least in the uS) but the newer AED's are programed to walk you through the process. I tried it and even a sales guy could do it.

Hemlon:
Contrary to popular belief, RNs and paramedics do not carry AEDs along with them routinely. I'm an RN and I don't own one!

I'm a P.T. and I always have mine.

Watching a co-worker die while awaiting EMT's and AED was enough to make me bite the bullet and buy one from Amazon.

Refurbished units are about 700.00.

One has a max of 5 minutes before brain damage in the event of cardiac fibrillation. There are very few times that EMT's can arrive and administer defibrillation within this time period.

There is a $500 grant available to buy AED's as well.

BTW, if you need training, I'm an available instructor - CPR/AED/Blood Born Pathogens/O2/Disaster Preparedness :)

My emergency services area recieved some money for AEDs for the community. We placed them in police cars, schools and the gym. The one at the gym has been used three times. Two of those people are walking and talking today.
I do in fact carry a LP10 in my truck along with full ACLS drugs, O2 and intubation equipment. Anyone that knows my Hx of "just happened to be there" will understand why. I did three inflight emergencies last year and one so far this year. Aircraft are one place Id like to see both real monitors and AEDs. There is usualy someone that can use a cardiac monitor/pacer/defib on board.

Please be aware that not all victims are shockable and most AEDs will advise you to shock or not shock, and not shock means CPR is your only means until ACLS can get there... In most cases CPR is the fastest method of keeping the blood and Oxygen circulating....
I am sure that the International Red Cross could provide the training needed to use the AED.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom