Help I Messed Up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tnk120184

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, we live and learn. Just returned from Saipan and Tinian. While on Tinian I rented a moped to see the WW II sites, I placed my A60 in the storage compartment under the seat without it being in it's case. So now a have a scuffed up LCD, not so bad that I cant see but bad enough to distract. Is there a way to polish out scuff marks or anything along those lines or would I have to replace the LCD if thats even possible?

I've read discussions on polishing out minor scratches but don't remember exactly where. Sorry for my poor memory!

Several years back when I had plexiglass aquariums there was a product that removed scratches from them. If my memory serves me correctly it came in three stages depending on the severity of the scratch. Each of the three bottles had a different number. You can try an aquarium supply shop or a shop that makes custom plastics if you have one near you. Last resort would be to find it online.
:shades:

I'm not sure about a LCD screen - but I know people use toothpaste to remove scratches in simular materials.....

tnk120184 once bubbled...
Ok, we live and learn. Just returned from Saipan and Tinian. While on Tinian I rented a moped to see the WW II sites, I placed my A60 in the storage compartment under the seat without it being in it's case. So now a have a scuffed up LCD, not so bad that I cant see but bad enough to distract. Is there a way to polish out scuff marks or anything along those lines or would I have to replace the LCD if thats even possible?
Standard disclaimer about not knowing for LCD screens, but...

What about products intended for CD repair? Depending on how deep the scratch is, it might work out ok.

If I remember correctly they not only have abrasives to help smooth out the scratch (as in the toothpaste suggestion) but some also have a second step that fills the scratch with something that has the same refraction index.

Just a thought.

DL

Also standard disclaimer about LCD screens.

Try a motorcycle shop and get the faceshield scratch remover. It's made for plexiglass and should work and be readily availible. Whatever you use, try a small corner and inspect closely before doing the whole screen.

Let us know what you use and what works.

Disclaimer: I only lurk here in hopes of getting a dig. setup for an upcoming Cozumel trip. I do have quite a bit of plastic polishing experience though!
The plastic polish products are from Novus, and you can get them from Tap Plastics under plastic polishes. Very fine abrasives, and they work well.

*How do you like the A60?

-Eric

Thanks all for the advice I really appreciate it. I have one other option too. We've enjoyed diving a U/W photos so much, I think I can get the boss (wife) to OK the purchase of a Cannon A70! It will fit in the same housing so no problem there. Eric, you asked how I like the A60? I love it! So much I'll probaly go ahead and upgrade. If you'd like I've attached the links to the pic's we've done so far. By no means are they the quality like Dee and Rooster post but I have no complaints. Thanks all once again.

http://www.photoaccess.com/share/guest.jsp?ID=A856F027D47&cb=PA

http://www.photoaccess.com/share/guest.jsp?ID=A7AEAC27251&cb=PA

http://www.photoaccess.com/share/guest.jsp?ID=A0850F27267&cb=PA

Great shots!

I have a motorcycle and have found Semichrome (jewelers polish) to work well on scratches on plastic...followed by a clear plastic "filler" that reduces the appearance of the remaing depression in the plastic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom