Help insure Palos Verdes is included in MPA proposals; Long Point Report 11.5.09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrankPro1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recent data shows the Blue Ribbon task force is considering shrinking the areas off of the Palos Verdes peninsula that will be protected and will then make some reserves larger in other parts of the South Coast Region. Regardless of which proposed map you support, the creation of MPA's on the Palos Verdes peninsula is crucial for the sustainability of the region. If you support the creation of MPA's in any form "Map 1,2 or 3" on the Palos Verdes peninsula please write to: MLPAComments@resources.ca.gov, with your concerns.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After a month of being dry, I finally was able to get back to Long Point. Enter/Exited at the point. Visibility was a solid 20ft but very dark due to overcast skies. Didn't really stop to take many pictures, but I've included a few below.
LongPoint11509.jpg

Sea Life:
Juvenile Fish: Sheephead, KelpFish, Painted Greenling, Blacksmith, Perch "maybe Surf or Zebra?", Treefish
Adult Fish: Barred & Kelp Bass, Blacksmith, Barracuda, Garabaldi, Sheephead, Senorita, Wrasse, Opal Eye, Copper Rockfish, Black Perch, Painted Greenling
Gobi's: Black Eye, Zebra, Blue-Banded
Nudibranch's: San Diego Dorid, Yellow Dorid, Spainsh Shawl, Hudson's Dorid, Yellow Spotted Cadlina, Limbaugh's Cadlina, Odhner's Dorid, Diaulula nobilis, Nudibranch Eggs
Other: Zoanthid Anemones, Aggregating Anemone, Club-tipped Anemone, Giant Keyhole Limpet, Chestnut Cowry, Kellet's Whelk, Warty Sea Cucumber California Sea Cucumber, Purple/Red/Crowned Urchin, White Sea Urchin, Blood Star, Short Spined Sea Star, Sunflower Star, Giant Spined Star, California Sea Hare, Golden/Red/Purple Gorgonians, Lobster "inside trap"
Algae: Macrocystis Kelp, Prionitis lyallii
Garabaldi1.jpg

KelpScene.jpg

Star.jpg

Garabaldi2.jpg

Last edited:
How close is the Long Point site to White's Point? Would the DDT/DDE/PCB levels at the latter be a factor in designating the actual MPA boundaries?

How close is the Long Point site to White's Point? Would the DDT/DDE/PCB levels at the latter be a factor in designating the actual MPA boundaries?
White Point is the red blip and Long Point is the blue one. The western edge of the peninsula starting from Long Point up to Lunada Bay "Black Bar" has some of the most pristine reefs on the southern California mainland. These sites are somewhat isolated from the surrounding coastline because access is very poor. Steep goat trails are the only way to access many of these sites without a boat, which in turn helps to protect the reefs. Any of the proposed MPA's from either of the three maps would greatly help the area.

MarinelandWhitePointMap.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the geography lesson. As you guys know, I rarely dive "The Big Island" (but marvel at the reports from guys like you and Phil).

I know that the concentrations of those toxins were a consideration in the design and justification for MPAs in that region, at least by some of the working groups or possibly the BRTF/SAT.

Are echinoderms and shelled molluscs doing well there? It would be interesting since DDT/DDE affects calcium carbonate deposition during marine bird egg production. Of course the birds likely eat higher on the food chains and receive more biomagnified doses of these toxins.

Frank, what recent data are you referencing? Thanks for the heads up.

Are echinoderms and shelled molluscs doing well there? It would be interesting since DDT/DDE affects calcium carbonate deposition during marine bird egg production. Of course the birds likely eat higher on the food chains and receive more biomagnified doses of these toxins.

I would say that echinoderms and shelled molluscs do pretty well on the peninsula. A variety of starfish and snails can be seen in quite prevalence on most of our coves in both the intertidal zone and deeper water. Is there a reason you mentioned shelled molluscs and not all mollusca such as Cephalopods and Gastropods? Do the smaller shelled molluscs show higher concentrations of toxins v.s larger mollusca?

Frank, what recent data are you referencing? Thanks for the heads up.

On my last dive I met a Marine Bio teacher who was just finishing up a class snorkel session at Marinelands 120 reef. She asked if I could catalog what species I encountered off of Long Point and send it to her via email. She replied with this message:

Hi Frank.

Thank you so much for this information. This is more complete than I could have hoped for. We will use this data tomorrow is class. I will let you know about our needs for a specific video or photo.

I wanted you to have the latest update on the MLPA. The Blue Ribbon Task Force (BRTF)seems to be learning toward ignoring the science guidelines or at least not following them strictly. If they don't make the reserves large enough, spaced closely enough and situated to protect key habitats, the MPAs won't succeed in restoring the fish and invertebrate populations the legislation was designed to protect. So, we are asking everyone who understands this to write an email (even if you have already written an email in support of Map 3) to this address: MLPAComments@resources.ca.gov

I have copied a sample letter below, if you are rushed and don't want to compose one yourself.

Frank, if there would be any way you could send this email on to any of your friends who dive or who just care about doing the right thing, it would help so much to have the BRTF hear from many intelligent people via email that science matters and the reserves will fail if they are not created with the science guidelines in mind.

Thank you so much for your help.

~ Amy

Dear Blue Ribbon Task Force:

We are writing to thank you for your investment of time and energy to the future of our beautiful coast. We recognize the difficulty of the task that lies ahead of you in your decision as to what areas will receive protection in the South Coast and which will not. We remain firmly committed to the MPAs proposed in Map 3.

With education and research as one of the goals of the MLPA, it is imperative that the intertidal be protected. Maps 1 and 2 do not adequately protect the intertidal. Map 1 in particular in the SMR off PV has inadequate protection for the intertidal areas proposed as MPAs.

We are also very concerned about the fact that at your last meeting you appeared to show very little regard for the science guidelines.

The alongshore span of a MPA should be a minimum of approximately 3-6 miles, preferably 6-12.5 miles.
How can we in good conscience support the development of science guidelines from so many notable scientists on the SAT, only to fail to obey the guidelines in the 11th hour? You have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to follow the science guidelines and make these reserves large enough to be placed in the preferred range and encompassing substantial stretches of intertidal for research, recreation and education.

It is imperative that the MPAs be big enough and spaced close enough to one another and placed in areas that protect key habitats to meet the science guidelines.

If you do decide to continue to take elements of all 3 maps, we ask that you please consider the science guidelines as you formulate your final recommendations. Please do not fail to protect the intertidal in PV as this is where we do our research - one of the goals of the MLPA.

We understand that you are considering shrinking the areas off of PV that will be protected and will then make some reserves larger in other parts of the South Coast Region. We implore you not to gamble with our coast to placate the fishing interests whose lack of concern for sustainability has caused us to need this legislation at all.

I urge you to do the right thing for our future and for the spirit of this legislation.

Thanks Frank, I happen to be a fan of map 2, I couldn't have drawn it better myself. Hmmm...."The Marineland Reserve", it's got a nice ring to it ;~)

Can't speak to the maps as they relate to the PV area since I've never dived there, but I find Map 2 to be sorely lacking in protection for Catalina. It even removes some existing protected areas and offers little to compensate for that.

As for shelled molluscs, my focus was on them due to the effect of DDE on calcium carbonate deposition in birds eggs. Not sure if the mechanisms and biochemical pathways are similar in shell formation by shelled gastropods and bivalves to that of egg shell formation in birds.

Thanks Frank, I happen to be a fan of map 2, I couldn't have drawn it better myself. Hmmm...."The Marineland Reserve", it's got a nice ring to it ;~)

It even removes some existing protected areas and offers little to compensate for that.

At first I was happy that the fishing community was supporting map 2 "or any proposal for that matter", but after looking at the whole picture "not just my own interests in PV", I have to agree with Dr.Bill. Compared to map 1 & 3, map 2 severely limits the creation of new fully protected MPA's "State Marine Reserves= No take of any kind" in a lot of areas.
As with most political, economical and environmental issues, I believe a holistic approach is needed. A combination of all three maps which stay true to science guidelines while also making sure Sport/Commercial fisherman get there fair share of prime bountiful areas would be ideal. Without large enough reserves, spaced close enough together, we won't see the restoration of our fish/invertebrate population. On the other hand, to large of preserves in areas which are common fishing grounds and we not only put an industry at risk, but also a lifestyle.
I think of scuba diving, underwater photography, surfing and kayaking as not just recreational activities that I enjoy, but a way of life. As an ex-employee of the sport fishing industry, I understand that many anglers feel there activity is also a lifestyle, one which they will not easily give up. I don't believe for one minute that anglers will respect the final proposal unless it incorporates there interests. The southern California coastline is a big area and the FGD can't be everywhere at once. This leaves anglers at there own discretion to follow the MPA guidelines or not. The creation of a final MPA proposal which satisfies everyone's interests is crucial for proper restoration to occur. As a non-consumptive user of the ocean "I don't consume any ocean derived products besides kelp", I would love to just be able to close off large spans of coastline from commercial/recreational take, but that would not only mean the collapse of an industry, but an infringement on our basic freedoms.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom