Saturday Dive Report - Laguna Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roughwaterjohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Saturday June 12th
Laguna Beach – Shaw’s Cove.
2’-3’ surf, with sporadic 4’r.
Surface was calm passed the surf zone on entry,
choppier and slightly windblown after dive.
Surface water temperature was 70 degrees. 68 degrees at depth.
Visibility was usually a blue 20’+, with a few places dropping to 15’.
Maximum depth 47 fsw, average depth 35 fsw.
Total bottom time 51 minutes.

Photos:
No photos this trip. I decided to enjoy the dive without obligations to capture it anywhere but my mind.

The Report:

Larry, Jenn and I met up at Shaw’s Cove for an early morning dive. Arriving at 7:00AM, we were met with warm, slightly overcast skies; with the sun just starting to pierce it’s way through the clouds. The sun’s agenda for today must have been sunny and warm, as it was making quick work of dispensing with the offending clouds. We had full sunshine by the time we were suited up and headed back to the water.

Reports had been mixed as we talked to exiting divers. Some classes were canceled because of the surge, surf and reported poor visibility of 8’-10’. Other divers were saying, if you got passed the surf, you would be justly rewarded. Shaw’s is a steeply deepening shore break, which means the surf zone is narrow, but when you encounter it, you’re usually chest deep. We waded in, got passed a few mild breakers, put on our fins and were able to kick out before any of the more threatening forces curled over us. With blue water and snow-white foam beating the surface senseless, it can be picture perfect, but not usually a diver’s best friend.

Dropping down to 25 fsw, we welcomed the 20’+ of visibility and 68 degree temperature as we headed west towards the reef. We expected it to be a bit more turbulent there, due to the white water crashing over the reef at around the 30 fsw area, with residual foam floating on the surface straight out from the stairs, evidence that the surge went deep and would be felt through most of our dive.

The surge was with us the entire dive, but it was more something you kept in the back of your mind and accommodated for, rather than fighting it, except in the crevice, which we checked out, albeit not completely. A short way into the crevice, where the bigger rocks start to impede your travels, the surge created an effervescent curtain that you couldn’t see through, but was easily parted. The surge relegated a direct approach to the recycle bin, so we followed the contours, over under and around the rocks, spending as little time over the top as possible. We were able to make it most of the way through, before the surge tapped us on the shoulder and gently suggested we might want to try diving somewhere else. Knowing the sea seldom dishes out idle threats, and with visions of underwater thugs hanging out just passed the next bend, we offered a salute and thanks for the tip, before turning fin and heading back to the outside of the reef.

Visibility dropped slightly in a few places, but overall, it was wonderful. The predictable Garibaldi, Sand Bass and Ocean Whitefish were present in good numbers, with several of the Garibaldi being just passed juvenile stage, the tips of their fins lightly dusted with the reminiscent blue of childhood. We saw a few smaller Sheephead as we worked our way to deeper water. Senoritas hovered over the top of the reef, staking out the more turbulent waters as their own. Rock Scallops were everywhere, but clammed up as we approached. The blue-green of Aggregating Anemones contrasted nicely with the browns, purples and golds of the prolific Gorgonians.

Tucked behind a small outcropping, we found a couple of Sheepcrab doing what they do best, making more Sheepcrabs. We also saw a variety of shelled ocean dwellers, including Kellet’s Whelks, Olive Snails and California Cone Snails. An occasional Painted Greenling added a splash of color to the rock canvas, while a small California Scorpionfish tried to blend into the background.

Heading over the rocks and into a small valley on the backside, we found a small forest of 8-10 Tube Dwelling Anemones standing close together in a little corner. We had been seeing the usual Purple Sea Urchins, Spiney Sand Stars and a variety of colorful Bat Stars before we saw a large, almost pure white, Giant Spined Star. Add a sprinkling of Warty Sea Cucumbers and Puffball Sponges to the mix, and you’d pretty much have our dive down pat.

The return trip brought a medium sized Black Perch out for viewing, along with quite a bit more Ocean Whitefish hovering over the sand next to the reef. We surfaced on the backside of the surf to assess the situation, and found the surface generally more turbulent, but not apparently problematic. We kicked our way into that narrow zone where it’s shallow enough to stand and take off your fins, but you place yourself in the area the surf most likes to strut its stuff. The fin removal and click-off was done with speed and grace, and in no time, we were on the moist sand, the ocean receding at our feet, and a beautiful day before us.

John-Boy

krowsea:
Saturday June 12th
Laguna Beach – Shaw’s Cove.
2’-3’ surf, with sporadic 4’r.
Surface was calm passed the surf zone on entry,
choppier and slightly windblown after dive.
Surface water temperature was 70 degrees. 68 degrees at depth.
Visibility was usually a blue 20’+, with a few places dropping to 15’.
Maximum depth 47 fsw, average depth 35 fsw.
Total bottom time 51 minutes.

Photos:
No photos this trip. I decided to enjoy the dive without obligations to capture it anywhere but my mind.

The Report:

Larry, Jenn and I met up at Shaw’s Cove for an early morning dive. Arriving at 7:00AM, we were met with warm, slightly overcast skies; with the sun just starting to pierce it’s way through the clouds. The sun’s agenda for today must have been sunny and warm, as it was making quick work of dispensing with the offending clouds. We had full sunshine by the time we were suited up and headed back to the water.

Reports had been mixed as we talked to exiting divers. Some classes were canceled because of the surge, surf and reported poor visibility of 8’-10’. Other divers were saying, if you got passed the surf, you would be justly rewarded. Shaw’s is a steeply deepening shore break, which means the surf zone is narrow, but when you encounter it, you’re usually chest deep. We waded in, got passed a few mild breakers, put on our fins and were able to kick out before any of the more threatening forces curled over us. With blue water and snow-white foam beating the surface senseless, it can be picture perfect, but not usually a diver’s best friend.

Dropping down to 25 fsw, we welcomed the 20’+ of visibility and 68 degree temperature as we headed west towards the reef. We expected it to be a bit more turbulent there, due to the white water crashing over the reef at around the 30 fsw area, with residual foam floating on the surface straight out from the stairs, evidence that the surge went deep and would be felt through most of our dive.

The surge was with us the entire dive, but it was more something you kept in the back of your mind and accommodated for, rather than fighting it, except in the crevice, which we checked out, albeit not completely. A short way into the crevice, where the bigger rocks start to impede your travels, the surge created an effervescent curtain that you couldn’t see through, but was easily parted. The surge relegated a direct approach to the recycle bin, so we followed the contours, over under and around the rocks, spending as little time over the top as possible. We were able to make it most of the way through, before the surge tapped us on the shoulder and gently suggested we might want to try diving somewhere else. Knowing the sea seldom dishes out idle threats, and with visions of underwater thugs hanging out just passed the next bend, we offered a salute and thanks for the tip, before turning fin and heading back to the outside of the reef.

Visibility dropped slightly in a few places, but overall, it was wonderful. The predictable Garibaldi, Sand Bass and Ocean Whitefish were present in good numbers, with several of the Garibaldi being just passed juvenile stage, the tips of their fins lightly dusted with the reminiscent blue of childhood. We saw a few smaller Sheephead as we worked our way to deeper water. Senoritas hovered over the top of the reef, staking out the more turbulent waters as their own. Rock Scallops were everywhere, but clammed up as we approached. The blue-green of Aggregating Anemones contrasted nicely with the browns, purples and golds of the prolific Gorgonians.

Tucked behind a small outcropping, we found a couple of Sheepcrab doing what they do best, making more Sheepcrabs. We also saw a variety of shelled ocean dwellers, including Kellet’s Whelks, Olive Snails and California Cone Snails. An occasional Painted Greenling added a splash of color to the rock canvas, while a small California Scorpionfish tried to blend into the background.

Heading over the rocks and into a small valley on the backside, we found a small forest of 8-10 Tube Dwelling Anemones standing close together in a little corner. We had been seeing the usual Purple Sea Urchins, Spiney Sand Stars and a variety of colorful Bat Stars before we saw a large, almost pure white, Giant Spined Star. Add a sprinkling of Warty Sea Cucumbers and Puffball Sponges to the mix, and you’d pretty much have our dive down pat.

The return trip brought a medium sized Black Perch out for viewing, along with quite a bit more Ocean Whitefish hovering over the sand next to the reef. We surfaced on the backside of the surf to assess the situation, and found the surface generally more turbulent, but not apparently problematic. We kicked our way into that narrow zone where it’s shallow enough to stand and take off your fins, but you place yourself in the area the surf most likes to strut its stuff. The fin removal and click-off was done with speed and grace, and in no time, we were on the moist sand, the ocean receding at our feet, and a beautiful day before us.

John-Boy
Another great report John-Boy! I always look forward to reading them.

Christian

headhunter:
Another great report John-Boy! I always look forward to reading them.

Christian

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I knew there were people crazier than me, but if it makes you enjoy my reports, I don't want you to get better. :wink:

John-Boy

JustAddWater:
How about a report on the beachside fauna. :eyebrow:

Actually, that was quite prolific also. I tried to get more indepth info on the local beach fauna, but their mothers and boyfriends were quite defensive, thus, not much usable information was garnered. I did get a few bruises though. :dazzler1:

John-Boy

Back
Top Bottom