HELP - just diagnosed with hernia and dive holiday booked for 4 weeks time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dive buddy has a really large hernia sticking out the belly button. looks freakish, but is it safe for him to dive, shallow HOOKAH diving.. maybe 15' no deeper.. He said, no worries, my wet suit is real tight down there, that should hold it, fine. I'm not sure, but if the out-testines are plugged, maybe will explode. I'm "googling" like crazy, for info about hernia/diving implications. I need that guy.

My dive buddy has a really large hernia sticking out the belly button. looks freakish, but is it safe for him to dive, shallow HOOKAH diving.. maybe 15' no deeper.. He said, no worries, my wet suit is real tight down there, that should hold it, fine. I'm not sure, but if the out-testines are plugged, maybe will explode. I'm "googling" like crazy, for info about hernia/diving implications. I need that guy.
Without evaluating him in person, it would be difficult to make recommendations specific to him. The general recommendation would be to avoid diving until he is examined in person by a provider who is trained and experienced in assessing fitness to dive. The risk would be enlarging the hernia with heavy lifting, and strangulation of the bowel if there's a tight wetsuit around it. I believe that the Vancouver General Hospital hyperbaric unit has providers who can evaluate divers.

Best regards,
DDM

Without evaluating him in person, it would be difficult to make recommendations specific to him. The general recommendation would be to avoid diving until he is examined in person by a provider who is trained and experienced in assessing fitness to dive. The risk would be enlarging the hernia with heavy lifting, and strangulation of the bowel if there's a tight wetsuit around it. I believe that the Vancouver General Hospital hyperbaric unit has providers who can evaluate divers.

Best regards,
DDM
Oh yes, I should tell him to make appointment at VGH. I remember last year he went to visit a hernia Surgeon, for getting an operation, but with Cvd risk in hospitals, he cancelled. Thank you

Oh yes, I should tell him to make appointment at VGH. I remember last year he went to visit a hernia Surgeon, for getting an operation, but with Cvd risk in hospitals, he cancelled. Thank you
Of course! Hope everything works out for him.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom