Help me choose a BP/W combo!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take a look at a 30lbs from Oxycheq. You wont be disapointed.

Yes the Oxycheq wing is very nice. But I would only purchase an Oxycheq product from a dealer that you trust, because if you need warranty service you will need them to take care of it. I had an Oxycheq product that failed in warranty an was essentially told to pound sand by Patrick.

Aqua-Andy:6244336:
Take a look at a 30lbs from Oxycheq. You wont be disapointed.

Yes the Oxycheq wing is very nice. But I would only purchase an Oxycheq product from a dealer that you trust, because if you need warranty service you will need them to take care of it. I had an Oxycheq product that failed in warranty an was essentially told to pound sand by Patrick.

I have heard that Oxycheq customer service isnt the best. Ive never had to deal with them before. Ive bought mine used and have had no issues I couldnt fix myself such as inflator rebuid. I have always heard great things about DSS wings but I have not had an opertunity to dive one yet and now that most of my diving is sidemount diving I probaly wont buy another wing for a while.

Tobin's the man for this stuff. Call him at DSS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should have probably mentioned that I am from australia so anything I get will have a good $100 shipping added on it + warranty is always a bit hard to deal with if something breaks anyways. Thanks so much for the suggestions - does anybody know approx how much buoyancy a 3mm + 5mm combo (i wear one under the other) will still have at 30m (% wise)? If my wetsuit was fully compressed i'd need 30lbs.

I'll take a look into the others - reason I was looking at hollis s series is because I can get a package for about 350USD with basic harness, SS BP, 2 steel cam bands and an s-series wing

Ermaclob - i did see that package and am considering it. Right now just wanting to figure out which side of 30lbs i need lift wise.

Edit: I do quite like the look of the oxycheq package - problem is this gear order was largely meant to be for me to pick up some underwater hockey fins (oops...buying gear is addicting)

Edit2: Here is another oxycheq package that looks basically the same http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BackPlate_Wing_Package from scubatoys (i like the look of that cave site but it gets pretty expensive to do more than 1 order since shipping starts at like 60$)

Edit3: Anybody have experience with the Hog 32lb wing?

Last edited:
Starting to reconsider the oxycheq 30lb from AL back plate w/ Oxycheq Hog Harness & Oxycheq Mach V wing [DROCpkg] - $375.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!! as you can qualify for free international shipping (pretty big deal for me). And 30lb is a good medium I think - if i dive colder than 13-14C (~55f) then I'll look at getting a drysuit. Only place I can think of doing that is some of the cave systems in Australia (planning on taking cavern/cave course) and i'll need doubles and a new wing for that anyways.

Couple questions - do I need sex bolts (to attach wing to bp from waht i gather?) or any additional things that i need to assemble it? What about pockets to attach to the harness? My torches would be better suited to going in pockets for example but not sure how well they work.

Lastly, in regards to harnesses - I want to go for the simple option but i just want to make sure it is easy to take your kit off while floating in the water. Basically all my diving is small boat diving and it is impossible to get back into a RIB kitted up (for me at least).

No problem doffing a BP/W with a Hog harness while bobbing around at the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hog makes some great gear. I got the 32 lb wing right after finishing OW and am really glad that I did. The owner, Chris (cerich), is quite active on ScubaBoard and answers any questions regarding Hog gear pretty quickly. I had an accident a while back where my cylinder fell over onto my wing and punctured it. I asked Chris if there was anything he could do and he was kind enough to sell me a replacement wing for half off the retail price.

As for sex bolts/book screws, you don't necessarily need them for single tank diving. Some wings don't have slots for cam bands built in so you would need book screws to attach a STA to the backplate. For wings that have slots, the book screws are not needed. However, I got a pair of plastic ones and they help make the gearing up process a bit easier as they help prevent the wing from moving around when putting the bp/w over a cylinder.

I like having the sex bolts to stablize the wing and backplate as one unit to assist when gearing up. Besides, you will need them when you make the jump to doubles. They are not that expensive. You will love the Oxy Mach 5. Very low profile.

Starting to reconsider the oxycheq 30lb from AL back plate w/ Oxycheq Hog Harness & Oxycheq Mach V wing [DROCpkg] - $375.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!! as you can qualify for free international shipping (pretty big deal for me). And 30lb is a good medium I think - if i dive colder than 13-14C (~55f) then I'll look at getting a drysuit. Only place I can think of doing that is some of the cave systems in Australia (planning on taking cavern/cave course) and i'll need doubles and a new wing for that anyways.

Couple questions - do I need sex bolts (to attach wing to bp from waht i gather?) or any additional things that i need to assemble it? What about pockets to attach to the harness? My torches would be better suited to going in pockets for example but not sure how well they work.

Lastly, in regards to harnesses - I want to go for the simple option but i just want to make sure it is easy to take your kit off while floating in the water. Basically all my diving is small boat diving and it is impossible to get back into a RIB kitted up (for me at least).

I dive hollis plate $140 AUD and an Oxycheq Mach V 30lb wing from scubatoys around $270 USD incl shipping so $375 USD with shipping for the package is a great deal. I dive a 2 piece 7mm in Oz I also dive a stainless steel plate and a steel tank, this means less weight on my weight belt. When travel diving to tropics I use my Ali plate. Can you get a stainless steel plate from them still including free shipping? if so I would consider that over the Ali plate.

Back
Top Bottom