Help me choose a BP/W combo!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive hollis plate $140 AUD and an Oxycheq Mach V 30lb wing from scubatoys around $270 USD incl shipping so $375 USD with shipping for the package is a great deal. I dive a 2 piece 7mm in Oz I also dive a stainless steel plate and a steel tank, this means less weight on my weight belt. When travel diving to tropics I use my Ali plate. Can you get a stainless steel plate from them still including free shipping? if so I would consider that over the Ali plate.

Yep I'm going to upgrade to SS. I'm considering grabbing an Al plate as well coz I also do a decent amount of tropic traveling/diving and it would be much more transportable/probably better suited weight wise for a 3mm. You get plenty of lift with a 2 piece 7mm and steel? More I think about it the more I'm convinced that at 30-40m there is still quite a bit of residual buoyancy left in wetsuits as I don't have to massively inflate my BC at depth even diving 8mm so I'm pretty sure that 25lbs would have been enough.

I use USPS to ship to Australia and all overseas destinations. Much less than UPS and no UPS "broker fees" or whatever the heck they call them. I sell the HOG line and the new 32lb singles wings have a ten year warranty against pinch flats. Shoot me a PM for a quote. Jim

Yep I'm going to upgrade to SS. I'm considering grabbing an Al plate as well coz I also do a decent amount of tropic traveling/diving and it would be much more transportable/probably better suited weight wise for a 3mm. You get plenty of lift with a 2 piece 7mm and steel? More I think about it the more I'm convinced that at 30-40m there is still quite a bit of residual buoyancy left in wetsuits as I don't have to massively inflate my BC at depth even diving 8mm so I'm pretty sure that 25lbs would have been enough.

The main reason I bought an Ali plate is because when I travel dive Im usually traveling around the country so have to carry my bag a lot, if I was just traveling to a single destination I would probably just take my steel plate. In a 3mm with a steel plate its likely you may only require a little extra weight possibly none.

I use USPS to ship to Australia and all overseas destinations. Much less than UPS and no UPS "broker fees" or whatever the heck they call them. I sell the HOG line and the new 32lb singles wings have a ten year warranty against pinch flats. Shoot me a PM for a quote. Jim

That's good to know, UPS charges make most O/S purchases too expensive, USPS is my friend.

i had a thread like this a few days back with pretty much the same thing going on. If you want look through it HERE, theres some good info there.

i dont know if your looking for a specific brand but if you looking for something price wise, i recently bought this:

DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System

That package looks like a great deal, the back plate, harness, sta and cambands come out to about $180 if you buy them alone so it's defenitly worth it. As far as the brand goes as long as your not diving 200+ times a year I'm sure it will serve you just fine. Comes with a lifetime warranty probably through the same company so if it does malfuntion hopefully they back it up.

That package looks like a great deal, the back plate, harness, sta and cambands come out to about $180 if you buy them alone so it's defenitly worth it. As far as the brand goes as long as your not diving 200+ times a year I'm sure it will serve you just fine. Comes with a lifetime warranty probably through the same company so if it does malfuntion hopefully they back it up.

What do you mean by the not diving 200+ times a year statement. What can go wrong with a Metal BP, STA(piece of metal bent into a channel), webbing and D-rings? These things should outlast any dive gear out there unless you run over them with a bulldozer. As for the cam bands those should outlast any plastic bands that come with the "better more expensive BC's. The only real concern would be the wing, DRIS says this is produced by one of the larger manufacturers and is warrantied by DRIS. The air bladder is the most fragile part of any BC, with almost every other standard BC out there if the bladder is punctured you are buying a whole new BC with a BP/W you only need to repair or replace the inner bladder for a fraction of the cost of a new wing. I would happily dive this rig 1000 time a year.

What do you mean by the not diving 200+ times a year statement. What can go wrong with a Metal BP, STA(piece of metal bent into a channel), webbing and D-rings? These things should outlast any dive gear out there unless you run over them with a bulldozer. As for the cam bands those should outlast any plastic bands that come with the "better more expensive BC's. The only real concern would be the wing, DRIS says this is produced by one of the larger manufacturers and is warrantied by DRIS. The air bladder is the most fragile part of any BC, with almost every other standard BC out there if the bladder is punctured you are buying a whole new BC with a BP/W you only need to repair or replace the inner bladder for a fraction of the cost of a new wing. I would happily dive this rig 1000 time a year.

agree...and I'd add in 6 years of diving with a BP/W the only thing I've ever had to replace is the webbing on one of my plates as the slots cut into it, I replaced using "sleeves", problem solved.

Correct, my only real concern would be the wing. What I meant was for the frequency that I dive any wing should last a long time. I currently dive with dive rite gear and average less than 12 dives a year, I feel like any gear should last in light use no matter who made it. If I was a dive master or someone who went diving 200+ times a year it might wear faster than say this halycon wing, the wing it appears to be a clone of. I'll be buying the package soon, I've been wanting a ss backplate anyways the wing will be something to try out (currently using dr travel which is great).

halcyon.jpegDRIStriantawing.jpg

I asked around last year on scubaboard for advise for a travelrig, and most said I should go for an 18lbs wing.....well for me that was too small, so I have two lying around..
I really appreciate my Oxycheq 40lbs, and use it all over the world. Nice with some xtra lift in heavy seas when diving from boats, waiting to be picked up...
I dive all year, and use 3mm shorty, 5mm full, and drysuit. This wing suits all my diving, alu or steel. My wife has the Hollis 38, and the wing itself is a bit bigger, and looks "clumsier" than mine... I also have the deluxe harness, but I seldom use the clip, I just wiggle out of the webbing..
A BCD keeps you higher in the water, but after the first BP/W dive, I knew I would never go back to BCD again.....
I have a Hollis Alu BP, because I travel a lot, and do less cold water diving in Scandinavia. Weights in XS Scuba waistbelt + 2 pockets on top camband for trimming. My weight are 89kgs, so I believe 30lbs would be a little uncomfortable for me...

Back
Top Bottom