Help me choose my first SCUBA gear.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No doubting that!

I can't argue against Scuba pro making one hell of a reg.

learn-scuba once bubbled...
fwiw -- I'm still diving the same ScubaPro regulator and BC I purchased in 1991 and I'm an instructor (which only means that the gear gets used a lot, travels a lot and gets abused more than it should) -- That speaks volumes to me.

Mars 2u:

Find it kind of funny that your "trim" in the water (and what's wrong with calling that your "positioning" by the way? are you one of those people who laugh at divers for calling fins "flippers"?) has improved with the back inflation BCD, and you say you haven't needed to reposition your weights.

If you had repositioned your wieghts - you wouldn't have needed to buy an expensive Sea Quest back inflation BCD to make your trim better. :)

It might not push your face in the water, and I have tried several back inflating BCDs. Some do require you to resist against a slight forwards tilt when on the surface which I found a little annoying.

My point is that, usually back inflating BCDs are more expensive than normal ones of the same quality. You shouldn't need to shell out extra dollars for one of these to improve your trim because bringing your weight forward will do that for you for free! Plus, you really shouldn't have much air (if any) in your BCD when neutrally boyant!

I still think it's just a novelty and many people have it cos they think it's cool.

I tried a Sea Quest back inflating BCD with intergrated weights a few months ago. It was very comfy but it was $180 more than the Scuba Pro Glide 2000, which was also just as if not more comfortable.

Yes, agree with you - try on some different BCDs - each to their own and all that. But I will still stick to my guns that back inflation is just a rip off novelty and that the right size of the scuba pro glide 2000 will fit anyone like a glove, and give them perfect "trim" in the water.

How much air in the bc?

In warm water using lttle exposure protection there shouldn't be much. However in cooler water wearing lots of rubber...All that suit requires some lead to get it under. Once at depth, though, it compresses and the bc must make up the loss in buoyancy. Especially at the beginning of a dive (when the tank is still full) you may have a good deal of air in the bc even when properly weighted. Most of the worlds water is cold.

I can't think of any bc that I like. I only use a bp/wing. As bermudaskink said moving some weight foreward often helps trim and the plate does that by it's very nature (mine is six pounds negative). The harness also allows every one to get a perfect fit. The result is a stable platform to hold the tank.

My little wing is about as streamline as a thing can be. When viewed from the front you can't even tell I'm wearing scuba. The difference in drag is amazing. I would never go back to any bc.

bermudaskink once bubbled...
Mars 2u:

Find it kind of funny that your "trim" in the water (and what's wrong with calling that your "positioning" by the way? are you one of those people who laugh at divers for calling fins "flippers"?) has improved with the back inflation BCD, and you say you haven't needed to reposition your weights.

Because "trim" refers to a specific position. No, I don't call them "flippers" and could care less what you call them. Again, I'm referring to a specific position.

If you had repositioned your wieghts - you wouldn't have needed to buy an expensive Sea Quest back inflation BCD to make your trim better. :) [/B]

I didn't need to reposition my weights. You're assumming here that I had. You know what they say about "assumming"...I suggest you don't. BTW...I buy gear that I like and feel comfortable with. I tried other BCD's as I previously posted...some less expensive. But I chose the Balance based on my testing, not necessarily on price. Others I tried were more expensive and I didn't choose them because they weren't right FOR ME. BTW...the Balance wasn't that much more than others I tested.

It might not push your face in the water...[/B]

So now "it might not"? Not according to your previous post.

My point is that, usually back inflating BCDs are more expensive than normal ones of the same quality. You shouldn't need to shell out extra dollars for one of these to improve your trim because bringing your weight forward will do that for you for free! Plus, you really shouldn't have much air (if any) in your BCD when neutrally boyant![/B]

1)That wasn't your previous point about back inflated BCD's.
2)Who's shelling out extra dollars? The difference between them is based on preference. There are BCD's that are more expensive than the Balance. Don't you understand that it's not always dollars and cents here. It's about fit and feeling comfortable in the water.
3)Neutral buoyancy wasn't even questioned...this has nothing to do with your comment that
" Back inflation is a con"

and

"It makes you roll forward...."

and

"Back inflation for recreational diving is a con! Unless you are going techie, don't bother with back inflation - it's a novelty, fashion for recreational divers. It makes you roll forward when on the surface and when you are down under, you shouldn't have much air in your BCD at all - so who cares if the little bit of air in there is on your back. Wearing your wieght towards your front will see you perfectly positioned in the water - not a back inflating BC."

None of these is true IMO...this is what were talking about

I still think it's just a novelty and many people have it cos they think it's cool.[/B]

Wrong, and you're assumming again. Just because it isn't for you...you dog on people for a specific piece of equipment.

I tried a Sea Quest back inflating BCD with intergrated weights a few months ago. It was very comfy but it was $180 more than the Scuba Pro Glide 2000, which was also just as if not more comfortable. [/B]

Again, personal preference...do you see a pattern here. I guess price is a major contributing factor in your purchases. Although I definitely "don't want to be taken for a ride"...I choose how it fits and how it dives first...then price.

But I will still stick to my guns that back inflation is just a rip off novelty and that the right size of the scuba pro glide 2000 will fit anyone like a glove, and give them perfect "trim" in the water. [/B]

Fit anyone like a glove? That's a pretty wide range don't you think? I've never "dogged" anyones equipment...let alone saying people are getting ripped off becaue of their choices...but to each his own. And if you think that a BCD will give someone "perfect trim" based on the BCD alone according to your comment...well we'll let other posters come to their own conclusion about your comments.

Safe diving.

The person wanting equipment advice is asking about warm water type BCDs. The BCDs they ask for advice on - are not meant for cold water diving really and I very much doubt they'll be wearing more than 5mm wetsuit in the Red Sea.

By saying you have a negligible amount of air in your BCD when underwater, is correct. To counteract the compression of a 5mm full wetsuit in moderate temperatures you really don't need much air in there at all. A major function of a BCD is to give you boyancy on the surface and many back inflating BCDs mean that you have to counteract being pushed fowards, and quite frankly, in my opinion don't add any benefits at all for the recreational diver.

Also - I am trying to give someone advice about BCDs involving - function, comfort and price. I didn't say that only prices matter. For functionality and comfort and price I would say the scuba pro glide wins over any sea quest back inflating BCD and I said why. Price does matter for some of us who aren't loaded.

I never said back inflation BCDs push your face right into the water either - I said they "push you forwards"

Also, the glide 2000 comes in small, meduim, and large - and it is very adjustable. It WILL fit anyone, unless they are overly large in which case they should not be diving!!

Most of the worlds waters are cold - correct but most diving takes place in the warm waters. The greatest amount of marine fauna exists there and that is the major attraction for most divers. So lets forget BCDs for cold water diving for now. That's not what this diver what to know about.

It is cheaper to re arrange your weights (maybe add some to your ankles etc.) to get a better trim than to purchase a back inflation BCD. Through my research into dive gear - I've found that back inflation doesn't add much functionality and for the extra price, it's simply not worth it, especially when there are a wide range of excellent BCDs out there.

That said - I'm off home to fetch my BCD and get into the water to watch the coral spawn :)

bdaskink.

I only use a plate and wing even in warm water. They're no more expensive than a decent bc (if there is such a thing). Mine doesn't push me foreward at all.

If indeed most diving is done in the tropics it's because most divers aren't really divers they're tourists and only do it on vacation. Divers, on the other hand, won't wait for vacation and get in the water wherever they find it. LOL

What is this elitist rubbish that warm water divers aren't actually divers?

<pedant mode>
Everyone who goes underwater is a tourist, they don't live there. The future may make this statement incorrect but as of right now no-one lives under the water and therefore all are visitors.
</pedant mode>

Most people like to make it easy on themselves as much as possible and maybe that annoys you. The fact is that they have been trained as divers and take part in a 'sport' called diving so they are divers irrespective of your views.

You seem to have the attitude that skydivers call 'being a skygod', that everyone is inferior and doesn't know what they are doing. While there are many incompetent divers in the world, they are still divers no matter how much that may hurt.

Learn to live with an imperfect world rather than ***** about those you consider unworthy.

:upset: :upset:

At the moment I live in a warm water place (well, you'd think that at least, it being Bermuda an all, but we dive in the winter here and the sea surface temperatures can get in the low in 50sF and then I wear a full 5mm wetsuit and a hood), but before I lived back here in BDA, I was in the UK and I waited until I could go away to a warm water place to go diving. I'd like to do some diving in BC, Canada, and off the cost of Scotland but I'm not too rushed to get into cold water diving. There's so much I want to see in the tropics. So, I saved up and went to the Great Barrier reef, the Maldives, The Red Sea etc. and went diving in these places in order to see amazing things and have the best experience. I don't like the idea of diving wherever there is water at all and I think you belong to the category of divers who dive for the sake of diving, being under water, going deep, filling in your log book with as many pointless dives as possible. Then there are divers who dive for the purpose of having amazing experiences seeing cool stuff, and not giving a damn about what anyone thinks of them because they dive in pleasant conditions. I belong to the latter.

Tropical diving can be just as challenging as cold water diving. Fast currents, steep drop offs, poor visibility. And the nice thing is you don't have to wear a thick wetsuit, semi dry suit or a dry suit. You can even dive naked if you want to ;-) IMO unless there is something really cool to see down there, cold water diving is a complete waste of time, unless it is soley a training dive.

So, I want to know where in the hill did you get the idea that people who go diving in nice places are not really divers. :wacko: :wacko:

That's like saying that people who go to a top ski resort once or twice a year are not really skiers because they don't ski wherever there is snow.

Just because we are motivated enough to transport out dive gear to somewhere else we would prefer to dive - we're not REAL divers?

Are you on crack? :wacko:

BDAskink

- p.s. my coral spawning dive got bagged cos if poor conditions -

That was really strange!

I live in Israel for chrissakes...
Do I have a choice but dive in relatively warm water? We'll see if I'll want to dive in the med when the water temp goes down to 10-15 deg C (50-60 deg F) but the red sea is only four hours drive from my home and the water temp there stays more or less constant all year.

Leaning towards going and checking out the Scubapro gear (Mk2+/R190 w/ Glide 1000) in a dive shop that rents them in Eilat a couple of weeks from now. If anything, I'll be doing a few more dives this way, and play with equipment I haven't used...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom