Help me de-mystify drysuits.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lastly, I would look real hard at their dry suits, I have been hearing some stories going around about leaky seals/seams and such on brand new suits. Again, I am not knocking Bare just passing on a heads up so you can do your research prior to buying a DS.
My Bare DS has had no issues with leaks, but they used the wrong glue to attach pockets, so they started to peel after 30 dives.

Another guy I know bought the Bare high-end custom trilam suit and he had leaks around the boots and somewhere else in the legs. He sent it back to Bare and last I knew hoped it was fixed.

Bare also has a habit sending the wrong sized neck seal with their suit using the SI tech rings, it happened to me and also the guy I mentioned about (they sent large instead of regular), and it's not like Bare didn't have our dimensions. So have a correctly sized one on hand when you you get the suit.

For single tank divers, the question of wing versus suit really becomes moot with time. At the beginning, many people find it easier to put air in the wing and run the suit somewhat tight, because they're used to venting a wing and the wing vents very quickly (whereas in the suit, the air can get a long way from the dump valve!). But if you are properly weighted, the amount of air you need in the suit for maximal lofting of your undergarment will turn out to be just about the amount of air you need to get neutral, so as you get more comfortable with the suit and want to stay warmer, you will progressively put more air in the suit, until you don't use the wing underwater much, if at all.

Exactly. Actually, also for my twin sidemount setup I need the wing only to float on the surface.

My Bare DS has had no issues with leaks, but they used the wrong glue to attach pockets, so they started to peel after 30 dives.

Another guy I know bought the Bare high-end custom trilam suit and he had leaks around the boots and somewhere else in the legs. He sent it back to Bare and last I knew hoped it was fixed.

Bare also has a habit sending the wrong sized neck seal with their suit using the SI tech rings, it happened to me and also the guy I mentioned about (they sent large instead of regular), and it's not like Bare didn't have our dimensions. So have a correctly sized one on hand when you you get the suit.

The issues you mention just go to show a lack of customer service and care.

Utilizing either wing or suit IMO is up to the diver. I moved from using both to only using the suit. I dive a Fusion with twin steel 15 litres and ss plate with up to 4 ali stages. I only use my wing at the surface.

Back
Top Bottom