Help me mount a focus light to a compact housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krtismo

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to mount this:
31qJz3bKslL._AA300_.jpg

FF-1x5W AFO Focus Light

To this:
417BoASvNdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: Canon WP-DC31 Waterproof Case for SD780IS Digital Elph Camera: Camera & Photo

My goal is to mount the focus light as close as possible to the baseplate on the housing, and with as few parts as possible. I use my camera mostly for freediving/snorkeling and I would like it to be as compact and low drag as possible.

I would love to hear some ideas!:D

Thanks!

find some kind of shoe mount adapter...

i koe there is a shoe mount to tripod adapter...

This ULCS AD-1420 mounted into bottom of camera housing plus a standard clamp ULCS AC-CS Clamp.

Not very low profile but if you offset the clamp sideways or backwards it should help. You may also need to trim the thread length to mount into the bottom side of the camera housing.

I have that same focus light on my E-PL1 and really like it.

find some kind of shoe mount adapter...

i koe there is a shoe mount to tripod adapter...

What would one of those look like?:idk:

This ULCS AD-1420 mounted into bottom of camera housing plus a standard clamp ULCS AC-CS Clamp.

Not very low profile but if you offset the clamp sideways or backwards it should help. You may also need to trim the thread length to mount into the bottom side of the camera housing.

Would I be able to use the ball adapter that comes with the light instead of buying the ULCS AD-1420?

For ideas- Here's what I'm making to mount the same light to a cold shoe.
BigBlue-Mount-1.JPG

Sorry for my ignorance but, which side of your adapter would attach to the housing, and which side would attach to the light?

I have that same focus light on my E-PL1 and really like it.

Great! Glad to hear it. Let me know if you have any tips for it.

Sorry for my ignorance but, which side of your adapter would attach to the housing, and which side would attach to the light?

The top pad w/3 holes mates directly with the light (in place of the ball adapter). For your ap. you could invert the whole thing and screw the thumbscrew directly to your housing.

I think whay the others are saying is mount the ULCS ball mount to your camera, and use a ULCS ball clamp to mate to the light's ball adapter. What I didn't care for with that setup is the total height (and $$).

Would I be able to use the ball adapter that comes with the light instead of buying the ULCS AD-1420?

This ULCS AD-1420 would be mounted into the threads at the bottom of camera housing and the clamp would be used to connect the two balls. And if you offset the balls horizontally with the clamp, it would keep the vertical height down.

And as I noted previously, you may need to trim the length of the threads on the adapter as the sockets at the bottom of the housings are not very deep and if you overtighten you will crack the housing.

A loc-line solution would also be very easy (and cheap) but there is no way I can explain that here.

The top pad w/3 holes mates directly with the light (in place of the ball adapter). For your ap. you could invert the whole thing and screw the thumbscrew directly to your housing.

I think whay the others are saying is mount the ULCS ball mount to your camera, and use a ULCS ball clamp to mate to the light's ball adapter. What I didn't care for with that setup is the total height (and $$).

This ULCS AD-1420 would be mounted into the threads at the bottom of camera housing and the clamp would be used to connect the two balls. And if you offset the balls horizontally with the clamp, it would keep the vertical height down.

And as I noted previously, you may need to trim the length of the threads on the adapter as the sockets at the bottom of the housings are not very deep and if you overtighten you will crack the housing.

A loc-line solution would also be very easy (and cheap) but there is no way I can explain that here.

Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom