Help me pick another specialty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Id avoid "naturalist" and other ones like the plague. Plenty of instructors "recommend" it because its a nothing course - costs nothing to run, is easy but it doesnt really teach diving skills.

Id go for the ones that get you to perform tasks underwater. Things like PPB, search and recovery and so on.

My instructor's site says Underwater Naturalist is pretty good as well.

Another option other then spending for the Underwater Naturalist is to buy books on the aquatic life in the area where you'll be diving. They normally tell where the natural habitat is, so you have an idea where to look for specific species but more to your benefit, after the dive you can go and look up the many things that you saw for your first time and identify them...which will happen on many dives. Becoming an underwater naturalist on a coral reef is a life long course.

search and recovery is my recomendation-I learned a lot and enjoyed it too.

I've never been turned away from any boat, and I don't have an AOW card.

Around here, most of them will not let you dive the Oriskany, Sagebrush, or any wreck/locale below 60-75 feet without an advanced card. Our shop has two charter services and both of ours require them. I believe diver's den down in St. Mary's does as well. It all depends on where you live. I understand that the card has no inherent worth, but I'd hate to drive someone (like 6 hours down to Florida for me) and get turned away because I don't have the right plastic.

Around here, most of them will not let you dive the Oriskany, Sagebrush, or any wreck/locale below 60-75 feet without an advanced card. Our shop has two charter services and both of ours require them. I believe diver's den down in St. Mary's does as well. It all depends on where you live. I understand that the card has no inherent worth, but I'd hate to drive someone (like 6 hours down to Florida for me) and get turned away because I don't have the right plastic.

Terribly lame (and likely ineffective given that the largest training agency allows the "deep" portion of AOW to be taught in as little as 61' feet).

Another option other then spending for the Underwater Naturalist is to buy books on the aquatic life in the area where you'll be diving. They normally tell where the natural habitat is, so you have an idea where to look for specific species but more to your benefit, after the dive you can go and look up the many things that you saw for your first time and identify them...which will happen on many dives. Becoming an underwater naturalist on a coral reef is a life long course.

I look forward to the day I can get my grandson hooked up with an instructor that works in/around the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Someone that has this stuff down cold for the Monterey area. I don't care what the course costs and I hope it has a bunch of dives. A plastic card is not required.

My goals for his diving aren't about swimming around, I consider diving to be just another form of transportation. It's the marine biology that's important. Try getting a kid to read a book! Swim and point will work much better.

Richard

Last edited:
Terribly lame (and likely ineffective given that the largest training agency allows the "deep" portion of AOW to be taught in as little as 61' feet).

I'm with you man, I think it's lame too. Come to think of it, I think most C cards are lame, that's why I didn't have one for the first 6 years I dove.:D

I'll pile on and recommend PPB. Polishing buoyancy control and trim will add SO much to your enjoyment of all of your diving.

I agree with this sentiment in theory, but point out that you need a good instructor. Mine was terrible, she just wanted to push me through the certification mill. What could have been the cornerstone of my development as a diver turned out to be a waste of time. Make sure you get somebody who is passionate about teaching proper buoyancy and weighting.

I agree with this sentiment in theory, but point out that you need a good instructor. Mine was terrible, she just wanted to push me through the certification mill. What could have been the cornerstone of my development as a diver turned out to be a waste of time. Make sure you get somebody who is passionate about teaching proper buoyancy and weighting.

Unfortunately this was also my AOW experience. My "peak performance buoyancy" section was a complete joke and I actually learned nothing peak or performance in regards to my buoyancy. :shakehead:

But the search / recovery was a fun dive!

When I did my AOW we swam out from the beach until the instructor's gauge hit 61', then turned around and swam back. That was it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom