Help-need new o-rings.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Oly housing uses silicon rings of a very unusual size, so I had to switch to Buna. Harder material, but no leaks for over two years. I do leave the hatch unlocked to not stress the hinges or catches.

Regarding custom replacement o-rings online, there are a lot of choices. One is the material - what are these camera housing o-rings typically made of? Silicone? Nitrile? Buna-N? Fluorosilicone? Unobtanium? :confused:

How do I find out? The big yellow o-ring uses TSK5542 silicone grease. I'm not sure what the black button o-rings are.

I believe they are going to be silicone o-rings, I have repaired several camera housings in the past but have never managed to get replacement parts. (I live on an island) Removing the buttons and pins, cleaning the o-rings and the pins especially - ultrasonic works well.

If everything is clean and lubricated there is not really that much potential for wear on these parts. Even the housings I have seen used everyday have tested well after just a clean and lube. If I could get the seals here I would definitely look into it though.

What would you do if you don't have have an Ultrasonic? How would you clean them? I was thinking of leaving the o-rings in some plain water overnight. Should I add like detergent or some of the drysuit shampoo I just bought today?

Renseal in Dandenong.

Add vinegar.

Regarding custom replacement o-rings online, there are a lot of choices. One is the material - what are these camera housing o-rings typically made of? Silicone? Nitrile? Buna-N? Fluorosilicone? Unobtanium? :confused:

Most Compact Original Manufacturer housings (Olympus/Canon/Fuji/etc..) have Buna 'O' rings (black rubber) on the push buttons. The main body (and port) 'o' rings are usually silicon (and are coloured - red/blue/yellow etc. rather than black).
The push button black rubber 'o' rings are normally sized in what is known (in Australia - where I come from) as Japanese Metric sizes. This means they are odd sizes like 2.125mm rather than 2.0mm, 2.25mm or 2.5mm (ie. they are 'odd' sizes).
Most larger 'o' ring suppliers can order-in Japanese metric sizes to match a sample.
I have packets of 100 of each size used on the early Olympus compacts, that I purchased in Australia. I have used these for years (successfully) to service many housings where the original 'o' ring was needing replacement.
Most of the Canon Compacts use quite standard metric size 'o' rings, mostly I have found these are stock sizes at my local supplier, rather than the Japanese metric.
Try your local 'o' ring supplier for METRIC sizes.

Most of the Canon Compacts use quite standard metric size 'o' rings, mostly I have found these are stock sizes at my local supplier, rather than the Japanese metric.
Try your local 'o' ring supplier for METRIC sizes.

That's good to know. But did you know that there are two different black rubber o-rings for the Canon UW housings? One is the push button o-rings and the other one is where you slide the "slider" from left to right (the zoom button). You can order the Canon push button o-rings but you can't seem to order the slightly bigger "slider" (for the zoom button) o-rings.

Can you confirm if the push button o-rings for the Canon is 2.125mm? How about the "slider" (for the zoom button) o-rings?

I'm replying to my own post again. :) Please feel free to correct any information below. We are all here to find the o-rings for our Canon UW housing.

You need to use the Japanese o-rings and I've read that all the Oly, Canon, Sony, etc UW housing use the same manufacturer so the following o-rings should work.

Black button o-rings - Japanese Standard-JIS 2410 Size P3 (2.8X1.9). This is the Canon part CY1-6252-000.
Black slider/mode/zoom o-rings - Japanese Standard-JIS 2410 Size P5 (4.8X1.9). Canon does not sell this.

Maryland Metrics O-Rings - dimensions JIS 2401 P series

In Canada, I've been told that we only have 1 Canon distributor who supplies the entire country with the CY1-6252-000 o-rings. And they are out. ETA is 3 weeks minimum. Cost is 77 cents each with a minimum order plus a hefty s&h charge. A local Canon service depot sells them for $2 each but they're out of stock and will need to get it from the same Canon distributor who is also out of stock.

Good news is that I can get the Japanese o-rings from a local o-ring distributor. Problem is that they're only open from 9-5 and clear across town. I'm going to have to take a day off to buy a couple (handfuls) of o-rings next week. They have a minimum order.

I'll keep everyone posted if the o-rings do work. And if they do work, I'm willing to send some of my extras to the people who need them. You just need to pay for the postage and the o-rings which should be a couple bucks or so depending where you live and how many you want.

For nearly 8 years, I used the Canon housings. For a while, a dive shop on Maui was able to get o-rings from Canon and overhauled the housings. No more. My friend bought o-rings from Canon directly for the Canon housing for the G9, but Canon would not install them; I did, and it took me about an hour to remove and replace the o-rings.

@ beekeeper5, did you ever find out if your orings were the right ones?

As I am now at the point that my housing needs new rings.

able o ring in Toronto Canada can help you mail the orig oring they will match it up and mail out as many as you want ...........

Back
Top Bottom