help on good inexpensive speargun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJStateRanger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi All,

Will be in FLa. July 2009 around Satillite Beach(Melbourne) area. Prior to that I will be buying, hopefully a good but inexpensive speargun for rock/reef area's. I have looked at some spearguns. Any comments on JBL 31 Magums(4d33 model).Cost for that model appears to run around 135.00 new. I have speared before, but it's been awhile. I don't know much about the air guns, but seem to be more expensive, etc. I have only used band guns in the past. Thanks in advance for your help.

NJSR,

The 4D33 is a very small gun for FL. If cost is real important I'd consider moving to the JBL Explorer Lightning models, 24 or at least 22 and add a band. You'll get far better range. JBL overstates their guns true ability.

If we knew more it would help... Scuba vs free? Boat or kayak available? Fish to target?

Chad

Chad, thanks for the imput, this will be scuba,boat, fish to target, most likely on average sheepshead, triggper, snapper, but would not mine bigger stuff also. As far as price,just want a good gun without spending a ton of money. open to all suggestions.

By the way I am moving to Treasure Island in August, already have my place there.

Rick

• AB Biller (48" Minimum) for Gulf of Mexico fishing (red snapper, triggers, etc.)
  • Pelaj 90cm Typhoon ($259) I just demo-ed one, and this will be my next gun.
Next recommendation would be a Riffe, but you mentioned money being an issue :wink:

Chad, thanks for the imput, this will be scuba,boat, fish to target, most likely on average sheepshead, triggper, snapper, but would not mine bigger stuff also. As far as price,just want a good gun without spending a ton of money. open to all suggestions.

By the way I am moving to Treasure Island in August, already have my place there.

Rick

Great Rick,

Well for mid-priced solid scuba gun for the Gulf and most of FL, I'd move up to a Biller 54 or SS Sea Hornet 52, freeshaft rigged. Shaft length and band stretch are of huge importance. They very good freeshaft guns and are fair line guns as well.

I shoot Wong guns now, but the above suited me fine for decades of big fish.

Chad

i was spearing last year in fl and i have a mares ct100 one band and had no problem with hogs and snapper but it was a little long and all the guys i spear with had riffes but they said that a jbl 38 spacial was a good spear gun hell divers shot a 90 lb gar fish

Back
Top Bottom