Help please (Nikon SLR Lens)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warren_L:
...snip....I use a Nikkor 12-24 myself, along with the 60mm micro, but I do plan to eventually get the 105mm micro, and if I find more spare cash floating around, the 10.5mm prime.

Let us know where that is would you??? :luxhello:

LOL!! Stripped that sucker clean did ya???

Nice reason though......

I would forget the 18-200DX VR for UW use as it will be physically impossible to house it physically with either flat or domeport and use the full range of the zoom plus it des not focus close enough to really be useful for macro shot.
From widest to macro, lenses commonly use for uw are 10.5mm, 12-24mm, Sigma 15mm, Nikkor 16mm, 17-35mm, 17-55DX , 18-70DX, 60mm, 105mm, 70-180mm.
My most commonly use lens is the 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 70-180mm and occasional 60mm. I am holding out on 105mm as there are enough rumor about a new 105mm that should be out hopfully sometimes this year.

Guys. I've also just switched to a D200 in subal housing after many years with F100/Subal/Nikor20mm combo. Reports about the sigma 12-24mm look good but I was wondering if there are any distortion or vigniting issues I need to be aware of before buying the lens. I have the wide angle dome port. Is it necessary to have a diopter with this lens on the widest setting and will it fit in the dome port on this setting without a port extention ring? cheers. Rich.

Best for UWP, as you have just picked a D200?
Go for the 10.5mm fisheye and the 105mm micro...
You will never need to change these lens in the future.
My first SLR was a Nikon N80, I bought it with the 16mm fisheye (10.5 version on film), and 105mm. Have changed many lens since then, but these two are still in my backpack.
And since you dive in pristine waters, the 105 is preferably over the 60.

These two are the best starters for UWP.

Then when you have more experience you can try the Nikkor 12-24 (excellent topside), Sigma 10-20 (that hopefully I will try UW)... one tele-zoom Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VR... one Nikkor 50mm/1.4 or 1.8 normal, maybe the 30/1.4 from Sigma as well.

Firstly keep in mind I have never shot underwater:D I can surely help you with lenses though. The 70-180 macro is awesome and allows for flexability. The 105 2.8VR has just come out and is also very nice.the 60 macro is slightly sharper than the 105. The 17-35 2.8 while not a true macro has a nice low focusing distance! This are some macro lenses I would suggest. Also I prefer bjorn's reviews over rockwells. you can check out his site here. http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html

Just getting back from Aggressor Belize livaboard I really liked the the way this lens performed I used this lens and also 60mm micro nikon on my Ike housed D70s U/W
and used 18-70 deckside

I have a D70 in an Ikelite housing with a Nikon 60mm micro (macro) and a Tokina 12-24 wide angle zoom. I did a fair amount of research on Nikon vs. Tokina on the wide angle and concluded the Tokina was at least as good.

One tip....at night if you're shooting the 60mm, use manual focus. Even with a spotting lamp on, the camera has a hard time finding focus.

Good luck and keep those o-rings clean!

Back
Top Bottom