HELP! Trying to set up new puter with 64 bit system and having trouble

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for the mac vs windows debate. I guess for me the answer to that question doesn't matter as I have to use windows for work and I have already purchased this new system and am now married to it.

Zone Alarm said they have a beta version that will work with a 64 bit and I can try it at my own risk. They do not know when they will have a working version. They did not try to sell me anything else--just said sorry our stuff won't work now. I asked if they could freeze my subscription, but the said no. They said they would have a new 64 bit version up and running by the end of the year.

I have been able to get all my work related programs up and running after upgrading. I think I lost Microsoft Best of Entertainment that I purchased in 1992. I am going to miss Chip's Challenge and Jezz Ball a great deal. I guess all good things come to an end. I still really like the old cheezy games.

I hope I can get the software to work for my dive computer. I am not seeing a download for the Atmos Pro that is 64 bit on their website. Off to post in their forum and ask for direction.

I guess now that I am few days into this, it seems my problems have been more due to the 64 bit issue rather than Vista. And I am going to have to upgrade at some point. Since I am almost done, I am just going to stay with Vista rather than spend any more $$$ or start this process over.
1992? does it run in DOS then? look up a neat program called DOS BOX :)

Just remember... It's never too late and nothing is permanent, especially with computers!

For example... I remember RedHat having a Jezz Ball knockoff... forget what it's called now... among plenty of other good "cheezy" games. You could consider a "free" upgrade to Linux. :)

If not, XP64 and Vista64 are "supposed" to run 32bit apps. It's called WOW, or "Windows on Windows." Something M$ has done since the Windows9x days to run 16bit apps on a 32bit system. Problem is... it doesn't always work. Not that programs won't install or run, they just seem to deteriorate much quicker than normal because the system is literally emulating another OS. Mac does the same thing with Soft Windows or whatever they call it nowadays.

Now, what you want, is to run a 16bit app (Jezz Ball) in a 64 bit world... good luck with that. Your next best solution is to install both Vista64 and XP on your system in a multi-boot fashion. I would highly recommend putting them on separate partitions, just because of the funky directory names the 64 bit versions use and the file system structure makes things quite incompatible between 32 and 64 bit. But with this, you can boot your system to your desired OS... Vista for work, and XP for play. It's not as complicated as it sounds, the Windows installation/setup has recognized this configuration for years and can help you along.

Ken

TC:
Nortel still does not have a version of their vpn client that will run on 64.:depressed:
And based on their current financial situation, they may not have one in the future (a financial situation, a version of the vpn client, or a future)

And based on their current financial situation, they may not have one in the future (a financial situation, a version of the vpn client, or a future)

nice...

Just remember... It's never too late and nothing is permanent, especially with computers!

For example... I remember RedHat having a Jezz Ball knockoff... forget what it's called now... among plenty of other good "cheezy" games. You could consider a "free" upgrade to Linux. :)

If not, XP64 and Vista64 are "supposed" to run 32bit apps. It's called WOW, or "Windows on Windows." Something M$ has done since the Windows9x days to run 16bit apps on a 32bit system. Problem is... it doesn't always work. Not that programs won't install or run, they just seem to deteriorate much quicker than normal because the system is literally emulating another OS. Mac does the same thing with Soft Windows or whatever they call it nowadays.

Now, what you want, is to run a 16bit app (Jezz Ball) in a 64 bit world... good luck with that. Your next best solution is to install both Vista64 and XP on your system in a multi-boot fashion. I would highly recommend putting them on separate partitions, just because of the funky directory names the 64 bit versions use and the file system structure makes things quite incompatible between 32 and 64 bit. But with this, you can boot your system to your desired OS... Vista for work, and XP for play. It's not as complicated as it sounds, the Windows installation/setup has recognized this configuration for years and can help you along.

Ken

I can't agree with you on not to use Vista.. I routinely use most versions of Vista, and once you get used to where some of teh stuff has moved to I find it runs MUCH smoother than any of the other OSes.. ANother nice fact about vista is teh way it enforces drivers and services, you can do lots of updates without normally havuing to do a restart..

as to 64 bit.. whether its Vista or XP 64 they both have limited drivers, the vista 64 is much superior to xp 64..

On my main laptop that I have been running about 2 years now with Vista business, I have had very little issues.. I have only 1 program that I needed to run that wount work on Vista... the solution Virtual PC, from MS.. Its free.. Just set up a virtual machine and install that program in it..

there is also a good plus side here.. I made a copy of the virtual drive after the initial install, (and always keep a copy of this file), when I want to test out software I just copy this file and create a new virtual session.. if I like it I install it on the "real" os, if not I just delete the virtual image and I have no excess baggage to deal with...

I run Vista 64, with virtual vista 32bit and virtual XP images.. There is very little slow down when using the virtual machine..

If you want you get more than 3 gig of ram, then you need to use a 64bit OS..

On my main laptop that I have been running about 2 years now with Vista business, I have had very little issues.. I have only 1 program that I needed to run that wount work on Vista... the solution Virtual PC, from MS.. Its free.. Just set up a virtual machine and install that program in it..

I run Vista 64, with virtual vista 32bit and virtual XP images.. There is very little slow down when using the virtual machine..

Can you walk me through how to do this step by step? And speak in terms as if you are explaining it to your great grandmother? I can follow directions pretty well, but I am not as computer literate as I would like to be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom