help wanted re wet suit style?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arcticcat

Reaction score
We just got certified in cozumel. Love the sport. Plan to buy all our gear cause it sure beats renting. Our gear will include 1 drysuit and one wet suit for the tropics.

Cause I'am 5'8" with wide shoulders the shortie wet suits I tried naturally seemed to fit better and be so much easier to get into. But the full suits were common down there.
So is there a down side to the shortie, ie stinging stuff?
Is there a brand of wetsuit that fits stocky people?
Can a drysuit hood be used for wetsuits too?

I have a 3mil Ocean Run Titanium one piece that I find quite nice. They fit snug. I believe their shop is in either Mississauga or Brampton, Ontario.

"Our gear will include 1 drysuit and one wet suit for the tropics."

Funny, we have the same type of set up. :wink: We have a trilam drysuit and two full 1/8" (custom) wetsuits. I also have a sleeveless Aeroskin vest that I sometimes wear under my wetsuit.

"But the full suits were common down there.
So is there a down side to the shortie, ie stinging stuff?"

That is the major downside, plus the fact that often you can find more customized versions of full wetsuits than just shorties. For example, some people like to have 3mm for their suit except for the "core" or chest section, where they may have thicker neoprene. Or you can have a two piece where there is a farmer john & light jacket. And you can have zippers put in the ankles & wrists to help doffing & donning. Etc. Etc. Etc. The variations are almost as endless as your imagination.

"Is there a brand of wetsuit that fits stocky people? "

You may want to consider getting a custom wetsuit.

"Can a drysuit hood be used for wetsuits too?"

Generally drysuit hoods are not as long as wetsuit hoods because they are not tucked into the drysuit (larger, heavier neck seal on the drysuit). What I like to use is a "dive beanie" unless the water is very cold. Then I use my full 1/4" neoprene drysuit hood.

Hope this helps,

~SubMariner~

Hey arcticcat, I am 5'11"and I weigh 205, my suit coat size is a 47 and I have a 36" waist, so I can relate to the stocky situation. I bought a Henderson Hyperstretch shortie and let me tell you, the Hyperstretch suit is the greatest thing since sliced bread in my opinion in either a shortie or a fullsuit, the material is way more stretchy than any other suits I have ever seen, and I have been told that Bare Wetsuits is also making a similar suit called a hydrostretch. Let me give you one piece of advice though, these suits don't like velcro and tend to not hold up quite as well if you tend to dive in areas where you might be getting it roughed up a bit. As far as standard type wetsuits go, I would recommend trying the Dacor Tek suits in both shortie and fullsuit, they seem to be cut a little on the stocky side. Hope this helps!

I was in Mexico in January and took my shortie with me. It was fine, temperature-wise, until the very last dive of the vacation, when I got just a little chilled. But, as for protection from stings...I had a brush with some fire coral on a wreck, and I now plan to buy a full 3mm suit. I'll still use the shortie since I have it, but if I was just buying one, I'd say the fullsuit.

My brother is short & stocky too. For wetsuits, he found he could get away with a mismatched Farmer John, with the top one size and the bottom another. He went custom for the dry suit. I'm pretty much a medium so an off the rack aquaflite fit me just fine. I saw your username - any chance you ride a sled in the winter?

Originally posted by TRUETEXAN
Hey arcticcat, I am 5'11"and I weigh 205, my suit coat size is a 47 and I have a 36" waist,

Dang, I am built almost like you. However, I am about 10lbs heavier (my big butt and thighs). I have a Henderson and it fits great. I prefer the full suit as opposed to the shorty. Water can take heat from you very quick. Once you are chilled, it is hard to warm back up. The full suit will keep more heat in. The water may feel warm, but after a couple of longer dives you will be happy you have it.

Henderson Gold Suits - ALL THE WAY!

Please try the Henderson Gold Core wetsuits! You would think Henderson would sell these at a higher cost, they are fantastic. They dry in 15 minutes compared to hours for normal neoprene wetsuits. They slide on and off soooo easy, even when wet. No lie! I have found www.leisurepro.com to have the best prices and I purchased most of my gear from them. They aren't the nicest sales people to deal with but they know their stuff. I tried on different suits at local dealers but decided to buy online due to cost. Cheesy I know, but hey, our local dealer wanted $300 more for the sames suit. Happy Hunting and welcome to the world of diving!

I have an Aquaflite (www.aquaflite.com) and my dive buddy has the Henderson Gold Core. There isn't much difference between the two suits, (other than price obviously). Henderson doesn't make their neoprene and neither does aquaflite. Both have that slick lining which unlike titanium really does work. It forms a better seal against your skin, and keeps water movement to a minimum. Plus they are easier to get on. My dive buddy & I both like our suits - but mine (purchased online) was exactly half the cost of the henderson at a dive shop! Plus they took my measurements when making the hood so it fits perfectly. Both suits are 7mm two piece.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom