Help with a big BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D-Rings: What fisheater said. What you clip does depend on how you dive. For most folks, it is some sort of a gauge holder (to prevent dangling), some sort of octo holder (same reason,although sometimes this is integrated into the BCD inflator or worn on a necklace) and a whistle.

I think many other items (sausage, mirror, small lights, etc.) are best in a pocket. There are plenty of other items though that can end up on a d-ring -- reels, small cameras, stage bottles, etc. In any event, please avoid suicide clips and instead use gate clips.

The most important thing is fit. You are about an hour from Chicagoland. Why not make a day of it and hit several stores? Do any offer the ability to demo the gear in the pool?

I second the suggestion on the BP+Wing option.

well.....this has helped me out alot, sounds like i need a xxl myself, being 6'2" 300lbs and having to use 16lbs around the waist was a burden. think im going to purchase a mares. thanks all.

I have similar issues with a large chest size. I use an Oceanic LX Pro in XXL which if anything is too large (at least at the waist, where I can subsitute an XL cumberbun.

I ditto the issue with the weight belts which is why I like the intergrated system.

I have had recommendations to go to a backplate/wing setup, but have yet to find somewhere I can try one prior to making the investment.

As far as travel goes, to most locations, its not been an issue. My gear including the BC in my roller bag runs about 41 lbs on the airport scale as I put my regs, computers and mask in my carry on on the way out. On the way back sometimes I have put my reg in my checked bag and had no problem that way either.

I'm sure Mares makes a good product too.

well...i ended up w/ a oceanic probe size xl, i was impressed in the comfort and how well fit. and for 369.00, not to bad of a price i think.

I had a very large student who had difficulty fitting into most of the BC's in the store. He decided to buy the Seasoft Sealion BC. Fit him perfectly, and is infinitely adjustable.

SeaSoft Scuba Products

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom