Help with a reasearch paper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbrewer

Reaction score
I am taking a technical writing course and I am doing a report on the feasability of using one of the Navys decommisioned surface ships or subs for use as an artificial reef. I am proposing that it is to be sunk in one of western washingtons water ways.
For this project I am required to conduct a survey of sorts, to find out if there would be an interest in such a project. So here goes.

Would you be interested in the prospect of an artificial reef of this size in western washington?

If you are not from this area would the prospect of diving a decommisioned naval vessel be an incentive to dive in washington?

Would you volunteer any time/money to a project such as this?

Would it be more enticing to tourism if it was a shore dive?

Where do you feel would be the best place to sink such a vessel. (Ex. Puget Sound, Hood Canal, Sinclair inlet, etc.)

Thanks for your help and time.:)

I am not from washington but I would travel to dive there I might be more likely to go if there were a ship to dive to[I went to california to dive the yukon] .If it were a shore dive that would make it definately worthwhile.

I live in Vancouver, WA and think it would be a great idea.

For me it would still be a boat dive because I can't do shore dives due to my disability but I'd love to dive where I can visit a ship being used as an artificial reef. What fun!

The big problem with living in SW Washington is there aren't any ocean dive sites too near by, so placement wouldn't be a huge concern to me.

I wouldn't mind volunteering some time. Sounds like a great project and a hell of a lot more interesting technical paper to write about than the one I did while going to Clark College.

I think that large ships, especially of the military type, are a huge draw for diving tourists and locals alike. Look what's happening in the keys from the Speigel Grove.

I think that a shore dive would be very popular, but it raises a couple of problems:

1. You'd need to find a fairly steep drop off relatively close to shore for a large vessel to fit properly and for the divers to not have to swim huge distances.

2. The locals dive operators would scream bloody murder. Imagine being able to dive the Spiegel Grove w/o a dive boat. The project would have never gotten off the ground-there would have been zero support from the retail dive community as there would be no money to make off of it. And they were the ones that drove this project.

That said, if you could drop if off of the shore in Alki, WA I'd be a customer. Just make sure that someone else does it other than the ones who dropped the Spiegel Grove on it's side!

Back
Top Bottom