Help with choosing the right BC - Zeagle Scout vs Mares Pegasus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

renecastro11

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys, I am new to scuba and have one more open water dive to do before I'm certified. I have fallen in love with it and am looking at getting my own gear. I'm currently a college student so cost is definitely a factor. After researching several BC's I have narrowed it down to the Zeagle Scout or the Mares Pegasus. Both are $300.

Zeagle Scout Pros
Excellent Reliability and Customer Service
Travel Friendly

Cons
Weight System somewhat hard to reach (from what I've read)
Only 24 lbs of lift.

Mares Pegasus Pros
45 lbs of lift (almost twice as much as Scout)
Weight integrated with quick removal

Cons
slightly bigger
MRS weights sometimes fall out (from what I've read)

I'm looking for a good all around BC. I want something that is travel friendly and will be mostly diving warm water although living close to CA I would like to dive in San Diego or other places 50 degrees+. I am leaning towards the scout with all of the positive reviews although my main concern is if 24 lbs of force would be enough in climates like San Diego. I know you can increase the bladder to 35 or even 45 lbs but that just means more money which will probably lean me more towards the Pegasus. I am 5'11" 175 lbs. I haven't dove in ocean water and have only dove in fresh water so not sure how much weight I actually need. Wondering if someone has any advice or experience that could help me out. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sorry, can't help any concerning a Pegasus, never dove one. But I can tell you that the weight dumps on the Scout are not hard to reach. They are right above the two bottom dump valves and I can grab mine with no trouble at all.
I have the 35 bladder and it has plenty enough lift even with the added weight of diving dry. I decided to get the larger bladder when I first bought the BC 5 years ago because I wasn't sure what kind of diving I would get into and if I would need more lift later. It turned out to be a good decision. I love my Scout and have no complaints at all.

Interesting, I see from recon's post that I'm not the only one who put a 35lb bladder on a Scout. I love mine and dive it both in warm and cold water. I dive in a drysuit in cold water and the bc has plenty of lift.

You will need to wear a weight belt with the Scout though, which suits me just fine. You may want to read TSM's recent post discussing heavy rigs with integral weights. I'm balanced to where I can take my gear off in the water and have just the right amount of weight left on my belt to maneuver on the surface in my drysuit.

Oh yeah, I did cut the cummerbund off my Scout. I hate velcro.

I have fallen in love with it and am looking at getting my own gear. . . . After researching several BC's I have narrowed it down to the Zeagle Scout or the Mares Pegasus. . . . I want something that is travel friendly and will be mostly diving warm water although living close to CA I would like to dive in San Diego or other places 50 degrees+. I am leaning towards the scout . . . Wondering if someone has any advice or experience that could help me out.
My advice - keep leaning toward the Scout

Based on your description, and the features and specifications of the two BCDs, and the manufacturers involved, I personally think the choice is clear - the Scout. That doesn't mean the Pegasus is a 'bad' BCD, or Mares is a 'bad' company. Rather, the Scout offers a BCD selection most compatible with your described preferences. I have some reservations about the Mares MRS system, specifically the position placement of the weights, which may tend to aggravate what some people describe as the tendency of back-inflation units to push the diver face forward into the water at the surface. The rear pockets on the Scout provide a much more appropriate weight position. I do not find Mares service support of their dealers in the US to be reliable or timely whereas Zeagle is very attuned to supporting dealers and customers. With a 35 lb bladder you will have enough lift, but an amount more appropriate for single cylinder diving the the larger bladder in the Mares. The Mares is a more positively buoyant BCD, and you will pay a price for that, in the amount of extra lead you will have to carry. All-in-all, I echo what several others have said, and recommend the Scout.

Thanks for the replies guys! I went and ahead and "took the plunge" with the Scout. It actually worked out because the shop I went to sold me a Scout that they had on display for $200 so I ended up saving $100 on one that was almost brand new. It had never been dived in, just tried on by some people in the store. My next dive is in April at Lake Mead so I'm excited to try her out. From what it sounds like is most people upgrade to the 35 lb. bladder. How much did you guys pay to upgrade? So far I'm loving the Scout. Love how small it is, especially since it does it while not compromising on quality. Thanks again for the great advice fellas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom