Help With First Video Light Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aoshell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I'm taking the next step in my underwater photography by adding an external light source. I have a TG6 with Pt-59 housing. After much online research I've decided on the Backscatter Macro wide 4300 Underwater Video Light MW-4300. I thought this would be a good simple set for my first external light, albeit limited to macro shots.

I need help with the proper accessories. I know it's a Cold Shoe mount and comes with a "1-inch Ball and YS mounts". Is that all I need to attach the light to the housing? I searched online everywhere and can't seem to find any reference on building my housing with a video light. Would appreciate any advice and comments.

The video light I use with that same camera and housing is hand held. It works pretty well, maybe even better than a fixed mount. Shooting macro, sometimes getting a close shot (sometimes I am less than an inch away) I can adjust the light better handheld... especially if in a crevice or other dimly lit area.

Hi, I'm taking the next step in my underwater photography by adding an external light source. I have a TG6 with Pt-59 housing. After much online research I've decided on the Backscatter Macro wide 4300 Underwater Video Light MW-4300. I thought this would be a good simple set for my first external light, albeit limited to macro shots.

I need help with the proper accessories. I know it's a Cold Shoe mount and comes with a "1-inch Ball and YS mounts". Is that all I need to attach the light to the housing? I searched online everywhere and can't seem to find any reference on building my housing with a video light. Would appreciate any advice and comments.

Looks like you would need a cold shoe mount attachment.
This one: Inon YS Shoe Base II

It will look something like this:

1574314262.jpg

I recall needing the arms to extend the light closer to my subject when using the same camera and video light for macro photography. To keep shutter speed higher.

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but depending on subject distance and conditions, it may not be close enough on the cold shoe.

And if it were, having it above as such may record backscatter, and sometime you need the light from the side not on top.

Underwater photography can require a lot of gear and it gets expensive fast.

I would suggest a cheap tray.
This set looks good - but it comes with 1 ball mount and 1 YS adaptor arm.

1699765004700.png

Unless you only want photographic evidence and nothing appealing, you could probably get away with the video light on the mount as it is.

If by flex mount, you mean this:

1699801473298.png

I would avoid. It has more limitations than benefits.

With the tray you have, you can attach an arm to one of the poles on either side. I usually have mine on the left. So I can use my left hand to maneuver the light while still being able to take photos with my right hand (positioned over the camera shutter).

You would attach this to your tray, then the arm via a clamp.

I would get 2 clamps and one arm.
Or if you can, 3 clamps and two arms. A 4" and a 6" one.

Two arms because you need to first extend the light over to your subject, then the second arm lets you pivot the light angle.

Branded gear is nice but the generic ones are much less and honestly as good as branded.

I have the MW-4300 as well. I put a 1" ball on it and a cold shoe 1" and use a butterfly clamp. Gives me a little more elevation and more positions. I use the MW more as a focus light and general night dive light then as a video light.

my tg-6 camera kit.jpg

Where can I find a cold shoe that accepts a ball? Is it separete pieces? I've done so many searches and have not found anything that looks like it would work

Where can I find a cold shoe that accepts a ball? Is it separete pieces? I've done so many searches and have not found anything that looks like it would work

Reef photo has this:
1699840392258.png

It's expensive. I bought it after I lost cheaper mounts twice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom