Help with gear Poseidon versus Aqualung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am looking to buy my first regulator set and BC. I am trying to decide between the Poseidon cyclones and the Aqualung legend lx. In the BC's I am looking at the Poseidon powerlift verses the Tusa Platina Evolution.

I would greatly appreciate advice on the pros and cons of the above gear, and any recommendations that you can give me.

Thanxs

poseidon regs are great regs with all types of diving. the cyklon reg in particular likes it deep, the deeper you go the better they breathe. the only drawback to poseidon regs is finding a good poseidon tech to work on them. the first stages can be a little finiky and they really do need to be worked on by someone who has some experience with them. the aqualung regs have alot bigger dealer network so you have a better chance of finding parts in stock and a decent tech to work on them. both are top quality regs. I personally use cyklon second stages on oceanic diaphragm first stages. I love the cyklon seconds, but hate the poseidon first stages...
the new aqualung ledgend LX looks like a nice reg. the first stage looks alot like a apeks first. price is comparable on both regs...
as far as the BCs... I use a bp and wing setup so I have no idea, but both are quality made... I think it is more a choice of features, and that is more of a personal choice.

If you can try to rent or borrow the gear before you buy. some time a shop will have "demo days" where you can use the latest and greatest item on the market. Email the manufacturers or ask around and you may find somewhere that has an up coming demo day

Is there any reason that you are choosing the cyclon out of all the regs in the poseidon line up? If this is your only ooption out of their range, I would suggest the Legend, Awesome performance reliability, and warranty. Lot of people happy with them,

rescuediver009:
Is there any reason that you are choosing the cyclon out of all the regs in the poseidon line up? If this is your only ooption out of their range, I would suggest the Legend, Awesome performance reliability, and warranty. Lot of people happy with them,

The cyklon is on special in South Africa and thus in my price range I do have the option of other posiedon regs, cant afford the xstreams though. Besides this is the better option as far as the poseidon range goes

So in your opinion the Cyclon is a better reg than the Xstream. I have used the Xstream and think otherwise but each to their own. If you have tried the cyclon and like it, take a look at what the service is going to cost you and if parts are covered then make your decision. I would definitely recommend trying a poseidon before buying one though.

all the parts in the cyklon second stage for a rebuild can be had for about ten bucks. And if you have a copy of the poseidon manual, you can rebuild the second stage in about 20 minutes, including cleaning. It is a simple design that has been proven to work under the harshest of conditions. The xtream second stage in my opinion is overpriced. the first stage is nice and works, but the second stage is an expensive and complicated design that costs way too much to rebuild if needed.
I can't speak for the ledgend, but if its anything like the rest of the us divers line, parts can be had anywhere and relatively cheap. service cost is dependant on where you are.

If the cost where you are is not horendous, and you know that having it serviced will not be a problem go for it. I would only recommend the Aqualung because they offer parts for life and the style of reg is a little more familiar with recreational divers. I would strongly suggest that you try a Poseidon before buying it. Very nice though in my opinion

I recommend the Legend. It's probably the best breathing reg in the world and you can get service anywhere.

the new aqualung ledgend LX looks like a nice reg. the first stage looks alot like a apeks first.
It is an Apeks. Aqualung just put their brand on it, as they own Apeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom