Help with picking locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tannebil

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going cruising in May and don't know much about the different Caribbean locations. There are eight stops and I figure I can dive four of them without the wife pushing back. Which should I focus on? I did two dives in St. Thomas and a couple in Caicos a few years back but that's the limit of my Caribbean experience.

Barbados
St. Lucia
Antigua
Tortola, BVI
St. Thomas
Bonaire
Grenada
Dominica

I've been diving for four years and have about 150 dives. I prefer easy rather than challenging conditions. Strictly warm water (Hawaii, Thailand, Indonesia) diving.

Thanks, Bill

I always put in a plug for Tortola in threads like these. In the BVI they always take the cruise ship passengers for a two tank dive on the RMS Rhone, which is just a 20 minute boat ride across the channel, and an excellent dive (usually wins the award every third year or so for top Caribbean Wreck dive, rotating with the other famous Caribbean wreck dives like the Hilma Hooker in Bonaire - another great diving destination, but I can't speak with authority as to where the cruise ship passengers normally get taken).

Last edited:
Welcome to Scubaboard! On that list I would definitely dive Bonaire, Dominica and St. Lucia and either Grenada or Barbados. I would probably skip the rest. On that short list I have been to and can heartily recommend St. Lucia and Bonaire. St. Thomas was average. Antigua was below average IMHO.

I cruised in January and dove Dominica and Barbados. We were on Celebrity and they contracted with Dive Dominica. We dove L'Abymm which was a wall dive and Champaigne Reef which was a shallow reef with bubbles coming from the ocean floor. They use a fairly large boat which was good for giant stride exits and easy re-entries.
The staff did a great job identifying the sea life with a magnetic slate and if you haven't done a wall dive this is a great place to start, My son contacted Eco Dive in Barbados prior to the cruise. It is a small operation which usually has no more than 5 divers on the boat. Andrew, the owner, will pick you up at the ship and get you back in plenty of time. The service is A+++++. Andrew is a true professional who runs a tight ship yet respects your ability and gives you some great dives. Don't pass up Barbados and Eco Dive. I dove St. Thomas from a Royal Caribbean ship several years ago. The operator was the ship's excursion. There was a very large group diving which really limits the dives but I had a great time anyway. In short, there are probably no bad choices.

I second Rhone Man! The Rhone in BVI waters is a great dive (I'm still salty from a 2 tank there earlier today!) and really easy to get to. Check out sailcaribbeandivers.com they'll pick you from the ship take you to the Rhone for two great dives and even supply some cake for afterwards to boost your energy :eek:p

Hi tannebil,

Personally, I'd go for Bonaire, Dominica, Grenada, and either Tortolla or St Lucia. Despite your short visits, you'll have a nice sample of Caribbean dive sites.

Good diving, Craig

I'll also vote for the diving the BVI. The RMS Rhone is a great dive site, and there are many other great locations around the other islands as well, so if your ship is going to be up and around Virgin Gorda, check out a dive with Sunchaser Scuba. Like other dive companies, they can pick you up from your cruise ship for the dives.

It's sad that St. Thomas gets a "just an ok" dive rating. These usually come from the people who book dives through the cruise ship and dive Buck Island. That site is just that - "ok" and not too spectacular. It's a great site for new divers, but if you want better diving, book independently. The south/southwest side has many wrecks and reefs that have been protected and full of life and color.

From my own experience Dominica and Bonaire are very good, Barbados and Antigua not particularly good. The others I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom