Help with redundant pressure guage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't want to deter you from your quest to argue with me, but I would submit that a transmitter "failure" during a dive due to a bad battery is not a transmitter failure, but a rather a user failure.
So all failures are user failures, because o-ring and hose failures are simply not replaced before wearing out. If a battery, o-ring, and hose has no guage to say when they are wore out, then according to your logic it is a user failure. So, maintenance is a user function, and all equipment failures are user failures. Not logic I would use but again, you do you.

I have attempted to end this discussion several times and will not be responding again. Your attempt to convince me and others to stop using an SPG is a fruitless endeavor, but keep trying, someone might listen.

So all failures are user failures, because o-ring and hose failures are simply not replaced before wearing out. If a battery, o-ring, and hose has no guage to say when they are wore out, then according to your logic it is a user failure. So, maintenance is a user function, and all equipment failures are user failures. Not logic I would use but again, you do you.

I have attempted to end this discussion several times and will not be responding again. Your attempt to convince me and others to stop using an SPG is a fruitless endeavor, but keep trying, someone might listen.
You insist on arguing with things I never said. Dude. LOL.

Some computers will tell you your transmitter battery status. I guess yours does not. For me, a transmitter failure during a dive -- due to a battery failure -- is not worth worrying about.

Most of us determine our "possible failure points" on the basis of reported group experience, not our own personal experience -- which is far more limited than that of the diver community at large -- and produces terrible statistics of small numbers.
I should have shared more details but wanted to spare everyone. Yes, it was a battery failure but also a transmitter failure since the transmitter o-ring,(I'm assuming) gave out and the transmitter battery compartment flooded. :(

I would be interested in your statistical numbers of SPG failures against hrs of dive time versus AI transmitter failures against hrs of dive time. I would be willing to bet AI has a higher failure rate, simply because of the sheer number of dive hours SPGs have seen relative to failures. And failures must be in dive failure, not pressurizing failures.

I have witnessed way more hp spools leaking and hp hoses bursting than transmitter failures.

One thing I am confused by for the anti spg + transmitter crowd; why would the transmitter’s o ring be any more likely to fail than the o ring on a hp plug? Adding a transmitter doesn’t add failure points whereas adding an spg does.

FWIW, I dive spg only on back mount and transmitters only on side mount.

Reactions: oya
I have my transmitter on a short hose as well, so both have spools. I understand that it "adds" a failure point, but saves the transmitter from breaking when used as a handle by boat crew. Most spool failure that I have had are small leaks that will allow one to finish the dive. So I don't see those as dive ending, headache yes, dive or trip ending, no. Both doesn't seem to cause me much harm, maybe with new computer and battery gauge that will change. Time will tell.

I have my transmitter on a short hose as well, so both have spools. I understand that it "adds" a failure point, but saves the transmitter from breaking when used as a handle by boat crew. Most spool failure that I have had are small leaks that will allow one to finish the dive. So I don't see those as dive ending, headache yes, dive or trip ending, no. Both doesn't seem to cause me much harm, maybe with new computer and battery gauge that will change. Time will tell.

Stop letting boat crews touch your gear :wink:

ETA: we are in the tech forum…I’ve had cattle boat crews insist they had to touch my gear but I made it absolutely clear to them I would just redo everything afterwards and I would be the last one checking my stuff. With a tech rig , no one should be anywhere near your setup, ever

Reactions: oya
With an old fat man like me, they try to "help" me on the boat and that seems to be a good handle. Not that I asked for "help". But I have seen it, so won't take that chance.

Does this actually happen anymore?

I feel like the "boat crew bogyman" is just a hold over from when transmitters were new. How many boat crew these days don't know what a transmitter is and that it's fragile?

I've had my transmitter right on my 1st stage for years (in recreational and technical configurations) and have never seen anyone touch it. Hell even on a "valley service" type trip where they took my recreational gear off the boat, rinsed it, and loaded it the next morning my transmitter (and everyone else's) was 100% fine.

Does this actually happen anymore?

I feel like the "boat crew bogyman" is just a hold over from when transmitters were new. How many boat crew these days don't know what a transmitter is and that it's fragile?

I've had my transmitter right on my 1st stage for years (in recreational and technical configurations) and have never seen anyone touch it. Hell even on a "valley service" type trip where they took my recreational gear off the boat, rinsed it, and loaded it the next morning my transmitter (and everyone else's) was 100% fine.

I've watched newish DM's try and pickup tanks by the transmitter handle just this year. I don't dive off boats much but am around a lot of newish DM's.

I'm back from Maldives and here's what ended up happening. My transmitter did completely fail me on a dive and I'm so glad I put that redundant dial on! I used it until I could get another transmitter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom