Help with seasickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sevenmeadowsdiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys newbie here and I got seasick really bad about 8 years ago and now I am going diving in 2 weeks in the Bahamas and I would like to go to the DR and get some meds for seasickness any advice?

Scopolomine patch applied the previous day.
Drink lots of water starting the day before. Stay hydrated...
Avoid coffee, chocolate, tomatoes, eggs, cheese, bacon, and anything fried...
Works for me....

There is a really good post on here by Docvikingo (I think) that goes all through what to do. It was a couple years ago. There are a number of remedies. Some work well. Some don't.

Have fun on your trip.

I just returned from 10 days in Roatan. We encountered pretty hefty waves due to the easterly trade winds this time of year, but I didn't get sick once!

A doctor friend we were diving with introduced me to "Scopace", which is the same medication used in the patch, but it is now available for oral dosage. You can take it only 45 minutes before diving and it lasts for 8 hours...all day long! It was a Godsend for me. I am HIGHLY susceptible to motion sickness, but not once did I have a problem. I was even hungry when I came up from diving!

I would recommend "Scopace" for anyone with serious motion sickness issues. :11doh:

Another non-medicine option is ginger anthing (ale, snaps, whole...) it works wonders! :)

I also recommend Scopace. I recently returned from a 7 day liveaboard trip in Fiji and I never had a hint of seasickness (and I also get seasick very easily).

I use the pulsating watch that you can buy at West Marine. It doesn't work for everybody, but for those that it does it is fantastic. I have been upside down in a diesel filled bilge in the Gulf and not gotten sick.

I used to just use it sailing offshore, now I also use it for offshore fishing and boat dives as well.

It uses a couple of small batteries and has multiple settings.

I too use scopace and think it is wonderful. The only side effect I have is that I get a little dry mouth when I take two pills for heavy seas.

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom