Help with Shaw's Cove fish ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill:
I just thought of a possibility... juvenile rock wrasse. They have the white stripes although the body color isn't the red-orange of a juv. sheephead, more like a yellow-orange.

Dr. Bill

Hmm, that's a possibility. The shape is right, and the color was paler than a sheephead. But the only pics of juv. rock wrasses I can find still have a lot more coloration than just the three stripes. Do you have any pics of really young ones?

Man, it drives me nuts when I can't figure out what something is. Sometimes I wish I was one of those people that just didn't give a darn which fish is which. :)

here's another pic
IMG_2488.jpg

scottfiji:
LegoPacific, Great Pic! I find rock wrasse a little skittish, you did a great job of getting a good shot of her. I'm guessing the ones ana saw were much younger than the one in your pic, and probably looked more like the CDC pic.

Scott

Yeah, and the juvs are even tougher. Here's a (crappy) pic from today

IMG_1133.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom