Henderson Gold Core vs. Hyperstretch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingdeb

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone out there switched from a Henderson Gold Core to the new Henderson Hyper-Stretch? I am interested in a 3mm but have been told that the Gold Core is warmer. However, I've also read that if the FIT is good on the Hyper-Stretch, it's just as good as the Gold Core. Help!

I'm also interested in the replies.

I'm not sure about the claim "if the FIT is good on the Hyper-Stretch, it's just as good as the Gold Core" that you've read though. The Hyperstretch is designed extra-stretchy to provide a better fit for more body shapes - so if the Hyperstretch fits well, it could be because it has stretched to fit you! Meanwhile the Gold Core might be too slim, etc. I think the statement would be true the other way around.

i just got a henderson gold core semi dry dove it last night for the first time in 46 degree water and was plenty warm even after a 50 min dive. it actually was semi dry.

i just used my henderson gold-core 3mm jumpsuit last week, and i loved it! i dove it in 68 degree water, (with an akona hood) and was decently comfy... 68 was getting a bit too cold for 3mm, but, i made it. the 68 water was at the bottom of the dive while it was 70 degrees at the top. i was very comfortable in the 70 degree water. i highly recommend gold-core... great seal against the skin!
(i've never dove with the henderson hyperstretch, so, no basis for comparison here!)

The Gold Core suits are great and the Hyperstretch is good. My wife and I have 3mm goldcore jumpsuits and they fit us, we are both rather large people who are difficult to fit, very well. My wife has a hyperstretch 5mm and it is also a good suit. The GC does not stretch quite as much as the hyperstretch, but it does have some give to it. the goldcore suit really seals to the skin and the 3mm is perfect for me down to 70 degree water. The other great thing about the goldcore is that the interior of the suit drys in about 1 hr so it is dry when you are gearing up for your next dive. it can be a bit of a struggle getting out of a GC suit as it does seal tightly to the skin, but that is a good thing. I did about 12 dives in a 3 day period with the GC and never felt any sort of water wash or pumping. Both are good suits, it really comes down to personal taste.

I will second cbriggs77 comments.

I have a 7/5 mil Goldcore and a 3 mil Hyperstrech.

I went with the Goldcore for the 7 mil because I believed it to be warmer than the 7 mil Hyperstrech (50F to 70F). It has better sealing (my arms and legs stay practically dry) and less compressability. It also dries quickly, which I like when I dive on business trips.

I use the Hyperstech 3 mil when the water is warmer (obviously) and great sealing is not as important. Hyperstreches are darned comfortable.

The "gold" and "titanium" wetsuits are simply gimmicks. The human body radiates little of its heat, and when in a wetsuit all radiation serves to directly heat up the wetsuit and the layer of water against your skin.

If anything, since gold and titanium conduct heat away from your body much faster than water, and it will serve to cool you more quickly. Remember how water feels colder because it "conducts heat 25 times faster than air"? Do you think *metal* flecks will slow the conduction, which is obviously the major cause of heat loss? No.

I'd say just find a regular wetsuit that fits well and has some bare neoprene at the cuffs and neck.. this will minimize water exchange, and you won't be paying extra for them to put extra conductors next to your body.

jonnythan,
Not my intent to dispute your physics, just an interpretation of words.
While I agree with the "Titanium layer" being advertising 'hype",I must disagree-at least as far as the "gold core" suits go.
The gold in "Gold Core" does not refer to the metal gold, rather it refers to the color of the slick (?) lining of the suit-other manufacturere have what they claim to be similar linings,with a different color. While the color is, IMO of no functional significance, the material does improve the seal against your skin, and as such lessens the flow of water within the suit, which helps the suit do the job for thermal "protection".
Good luck,
Mike

Originally posted by miked
jonnythan,
Not my intent to dispute your physics, just an interpretation of words.
While I agree with the "Titanium layer" being advertising 'hype",I must disagree-at least as far as the "gold core" suits go.
The gold in "Gold Core" does not refer to the metal gold, rather it refers to the color of the slick (?) lining of the suit-other manufacturere have what they claim to be similar linings,with a different color. While the color is, IMO of no functional significance, the material does improve the seal against your skin, and as such lessens the flow of water within the suit, which helps the suit do the job for thermal "protection".
Good luck,
Mike

Ooh, ok, thanks for the correction :)

Back
Top Bottom