HEY Mr Instructor.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frosty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So this is that ideal perfect world we all dream of .
Your student has rocked up and he's physically fit,Has a fair bit of snorkle diving experience and swims pretty darn well. He wants to scuba dive to as high a level as possible using recreational gear and chose YOU as his instructor.Money is no object
For the sake of this argument Padi/naui etc arent in the picture at all. Its about becoming a good diver not about a piece of paper.

So what's the course content? How long does the course go on for?

Sounds like most of the students I've taught over the years.

The class is 100 hrs and includes 12 to 18 dives.

The text is the NOAA Manual.

I'm sure that as far as course content goes, I will enjoy reading various opinions, takes, angles, and rebuttals. As far as timelines go, personally, I would make short term goals with the student making sure that we agree together when to advance. A break may be in order. I would also make sure that the last level (and all of the others for that matter) was done in a prudent manner as to not waste anyone's time or money....even if there is no concern regarding money. Good role modeling in and out of the water would hopefully be passed on to him/her to use in their oun classes.....

You're a guppy until you:
  1. Meet the RSTC minimums for Open Water Diver, EANx Diver and Rescue Diver.
  2. Add in more buoyancy work, more deep dive work, more Nav/S&R work.
Well rounded recreational divers should also have experience/training with:
  1. Night
  2. Wreck (non-penetration)
  3. Cavern
  4. Other local conditions
Dive Master is a good thing, too. Not necessary but it sure makes for better divers.

Take Thalassamania's course and become a Scripps research diver.

Take Thalassamania's course and become a Scripps research diver.

100 hours and 12-18 dives!
I want to take his class! ;-)

-Mitch

Sounds like most of the students I've taught over the years.

The class is 100 hrs and includes 12 to 18 dives.

The text is the NOAA Manual.

Is that for O/W? Reminds of the stories of the original hell week run by Al tilman and Bev Morgan in Houston.. Good for you! Hard to find students willing to go to that extent these days... Most are tourist with short time available.

Is that for O/W? Reminds of the stories of the original hell week run by Al tilman and Bev Morgan in Houston.. Good for you! Hard to find students willing to go to that extent these days... Most are tourist with short time available.

Try a search like:

site:scubaboard.com thalassmania dcbc tracemalin netdoc OW scuba standards padi

I have not tried this search string myself, but I think it should work. :)

The common argument is that scuba standards are being decreased over time. This is self-evident. The true question is whether or not decreased standards have a negative impact on the scuba diving industry and upon scuba divers themselves. I believe that the answer are (respectively): definitely not; and probably.

Ok....here would be my 'ideal' starter package. Each component of the course would be integrated into a progressive developmental flow. Once taught, skills are continually utilised and refined by the student as the course progresses.

I've stuck with a PADI course system, for the sake of certification/recognition afterwards, although all my courses exceed the minimum requirements of the courses concerned. The PADI courses are primarily just a 'vehicle' to add structure to the course - they (and their individual standards) are not the end goal in themselves.

The course would also cover gas managment, DSMBs, penetration skills/line work, O2 tox rescue, dive briefing/leading, dive computer use, deco software and deco theory/simulation. Core scuba skills are reinforced throughout the course, in every component.

There is a 'wreck' theme to the course - because I teach in Subic Bay, so virtually all of the dives are wreck dives. Prices are based on one-to-one/private tuition. The end result would be a good all-around diver, with buoyancy/trim/propulsion/awareness at a 'tech entry' level, with core skills (i.e. PADI skill circuit) at a 'DM course entry' level.

An example of 'passing' standards would be:
10min horizontal hover, +/- 50cm permitted
Plan, brief and conduct a goal focused dive for 2+ divers, to a depth of 30m/100ft, using appropriate gasses, gas management (inc turn-points and ascent point) and risk assessment.
Deploy and control a DSMB from the bottom/mid-water/safety-stop
Demonstrate non-silting propulsion within 1m of the bottom, whilst navigating a square pattern and deploying navigation line.
etc etc

Idea of the schedule needed:

Mon: Open Water Theory Modules 1-3
Tue: Confined Water Training Modules 1-5
Wed: Open Water Dives 1-3
Thu: Open Water Theory Modules 4-5, + Exam (eve - AOW Theory)
Fri: Open Water Dive 4 + AOW Dives PPB and Nav (eve - AOW Theory)
Sat: AOW Dives Deep, Wreck and S&R (eve - AOW Theory)
Sun: EFR / CPR Course
Mon: Rescue Theory + Confined
Tue: Rescue Dives 1-3
Wed: Rescue Dives 4-7
Thu: Nitrox Theory
Fri: Wreck + Deep Theory
Sat: Deep Dives 2-4 (with nitrox)
Sun: Wreck Dives 2-4 (with nitrox)

Total Dives: 21
Total Days: 14
Total Certifications: OW, AOW, EFR, Rescue, Nitrox, Deep, Wreck

Total Cost: $2250.00