Hi - can I ask a question about the Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dobie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there - I wanted to ask a question about the Philippines but not sure how to start an appropriate thread. So - hope it's okay to ask here!

I'm going to the Philippines next month and wonder if anyone can tell me how easy it is to buy dive gear while I'm there? I'm starting in Dumaguete, but will probably travel to other locations too.

If it's wrong to ask this question here, could someone tell me how to start a thread in the right place?

Thanks a lot!

You may get more responses if you post your questions in the PPD forum... although those PPD members are pretty nice folks and may see it here.

Welcome to the 'board!!!

This is why we have ScubaBoard.... so you can ask, learn, and have fun. But Dr.Bill is right, you will get more responses if you post on their local forum. The PPD link is:

Philippine Paradise Divers - ScubaBoard

Check out our many other travel and topic forums we have....that should keep you busy for bit.
By the way, where is your "local" forum....... Dive on in and enjoy!

Welcome aboard. I was there earlier this year. Dumaguete is a university town, but the dive resorts might be a little further from the down town area. I stayed at Atlantis, they have a shop selling common dive gears. If the resort you're going to doesn't have a shop, you can go to the bigger ones around which may have a shop or take a taxi to down town. Their dive gear doesn't seem to be too much cheaper than US though.
I also went to Puerto Galera which is a very populated city, dive shops everywhere along the streets next to shore.

To Dodie:
If you are going to Dumaguete City, there are available dive shops there. But it is easier to find dive gears in Cebu City. Anyway, Dumaguete is accessible via Cebu.

rrtacropora

Hi Dodie,

Welcome to SB! I was in the Philippines this summer. It seemed the biggest dive shops were in Manilla and there were also some nice ones in Puerto Galera. You will find both rec/tech scuba shops.

Like the others say its best to post in the local PI forum for details. One thing that I noticed is that the price of gear was quite a bit higher than it is in the USA. Don't know where you are based, but it might be something to consider.

If you are planning a big purchase I'd stay a day or two in Manilla to sort it out. Dumaguete is nice - Apo Island is great if you have the time ;-).

Have fun!

Thanks for the replies. My lifestyle is a bit unconventional, so I tend to pick up things when I'm flitting about. I'm English but primarily based in Fiji. Dive gear is expensive and hard to source in Fiji hence my idea of picking up some new fins and maybe a wetsuit while I'm passing through the Philippines. I'll post the question on the other forum as suggested, but you've pretty well answered my question. Thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom