Hi from GTMO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redleg02

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there.

I am deployed to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba for a year and I have been able to do something I've always wanted, learn to dive. All I can say is that i am hooked. I plan to get through the PADI Rescue course while I am here, and I should be able to do anywhere from 50-60 dives in the eight months I am here(hopefully more). The water is warm and beautiful and full of fish. After my time here, I'll be heading back to Pennsylvania and I plan on diving at Dutch Springs next summer. See ya underwater!

Redleg

Welcome and thanks for serving.

Welcome...and keep us posted on how your dives are coming along...would love to hear about them!

Welcome to the board!

Joe

Welcome onboard from a location not usually heard from. I think you are the first post from Guantanamo Bay since I joined the list last year. I knew some folks that were stationed there in the early '90s and they raved about the diving.

Rickg

Welcome aboard Redleg02! You are in good company as there are a few others serving at Guantanamo who post here and dive there. Since you are just getting going, you may want to check out some of the forums under The Art of Scuba Diving.

Keep us up to date on your training, and thank you for your service to our country! Happy 4th of July to you!! :)

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

We used to get a lot of posts from another feller there on G-Bay...?

don

Went diving yesterday. We did two dives from the same loction. The two I was with were spearfishing, while i was trailing in their wake watching them and the fish around them while working on my navigation skills and keeping track of where they were. They did pretty well, two good sized barracuda and lots of smaller snapper. Missed a beauty of a grouper. The visibility was grat the first dive, but the hunting stirred up some silt and the visibility really dropped the second dive. I went to my deepest depth yet, 50 ft and didn't have any trouble equalizing. I was trying to watch my air consumption and consiously slow my breathing to get longer times under water. I only get about 40 minutes from an AL80 at an average depth of 35 ft. I start my AOW class on the 20th. I'll keep everyone posted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom