Hi! New to Scubaboard, lurking, finally not lurking!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ahnperiod

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Nice to meet the community! I'm a relatively new scuba diver, have done a few scuba trips, and am ready to embark on another one in July to Mexico. Would love any tips on where to dive off-season (I live in NYC so looking to see what folks do when it's too cold to do NE diving...)

Hi there. NYC kid here, too. Easiest jump is down to Cozumel or Cancun. From Cancun you can take the ADO public bus to Playa del Carmen, Aventura, Morelos, and points south. Or you can jump on the ferry and go over the Isla Mujeres. Tulum is good but you need your AOW to dive the cenotes.
Other great options are Santa Marta and Cartagena, Colombia. If you are feeling adventurous get yourself to Isla Providencia, Colombia or the Corn Islands of Nicaragua.
Florida is ok too, but much more expensive.

Thank you! I am planning to do Cozumel first to complete my AOW, then ferry over to Tulum to try some cenote dives (if I feel comfortable) before driving to Merida to do some more dives. I'm doing Colombia in November, so will save that one for later!

North Carolina is a great place to dive. Lots of wrecks off our shores with a huge number of them in recreational limits. There's usually a lot of sea life around them including Sand Tigers. July thru September is the best time to dive them, although I have dove some in October.

As the winter sets in, though, Florida has some great diving. I did my AOW in Florida in February.

North central FL has springs to dive, then there’s snorkeling with the manatees.

Well then what on earth are you going to learn on here

Back
Top Bottom