Hi; newbie diver just getting my feet wet.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RStenberg

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello,

Firstly, my name is Russell. I've gone diving exactly once in a heated pool at a training facility; it was a 'try it before you buy into it' quick class to see if I liked scuba diving or I liked the idea of scuba diving. I'm sure you can tell by my being here I LOVED IT, it was so much fun. Granted I was only able to go 6ft deep (insurance reasons) but it was so much fun, I didn't surface for close to 30 mins; this was a last weekend.

Fast forward to why I'm here, I've decided to get my Open Water certification.

Before I go to deep into writing my life story, I'm going to start lurking the forums to read what I can and find as many answers as possible. I do have three questions right out the gate though if someone could enlighten me a bit..

1. PADI or SSI? They seem pretty interchangeable and every island I've looked at where I can get my open water certification seems to use both, I've been reading articles online and their home pages and it seems the only major difference is the price, which is pretty much the same.
  2. Looking at my family's calendar February is when we have availability to head somewhere warm and for me to do the final leg of getting certified, living in Atlanta getting to the Caribbean is pretty easy but any recommendations on an island for a novice? Anywhere between Miami and Trinidad is reachable.
  3. Most of the places near me where I would do my pool training are trying to sell me on an equipment package (mask, snorkel, fins, etc) in your opinion are those worth it? I don't expect to be able to scuba dive more than two times a year and traveling with the gear just seems crazy. It also seems any company I would hire to take me on a dive provides all the hardware I would require. My inclination right now is to not buy it.
Anyhow, Hi...

Nice to meet everyone, I am looking forward to getting to know people while so I can make this a successful hobby.

Thanks
Russell

Hi!
Choose the instructor, not the agency.
Not sure about locations.
Most places require you to have your own mask, snorkel, fins and booties. Honestly, it’s nice having your own of all of those- they need to fit you almost perfectly.
Good luck! Diving is an awesome hobby to get into; it’s really like going to a totally different world. :)

Many shops require you to provide your own mask, snorkel, booties, and fins. The only reason you might buy something else, such as a wetsuit, is if you are an odd size.

Although it seems the tropical destinations provide everything from what I’ve read online. Wouldn’t you want to have your own mask and snorkel? Fit for a mask is very personal.

Everyone says pick the instructor but most OW students aren’t going to know a good or bad instructor from Adam.

Pick a local shop that treats you well in the shop. So eLearning and pool work at home, then do cert dives wherever warm.

Hi Russell, welcome to ScubaBoard. Sounds like you got bit by the bug pretty bad!

I agree with Kaylee that the difference between PADI and SSI open water courses is not very large, but some instructors are much better than others. And some dive shops treat customers better than others.

At a bare minimum you'll want your own mask. Every face is a little bit different, and you'll need just the right mask so that it doesn't leak all the time. I'd recommend trying on every single mask they have in the shop, and maybe do the same thing for a few shops. The fins/boots/snorkel are not quite as personal, but most divers will want their own, and these items are relatively cheap.

Whatever you do, don't buy any split fins, those things'll kill you :stirpot:

Many shops require you to provide your own mask, snorkel, booties, and fins. The only reason you might buy something else, such as a wetsuit, is if you are an odd size.

Although it seems the tropical destinations provide everything from what I’ve read online. Wouldn’t you want to have your own mask and snorkel? Fit for a mask is very personal.

Everyone says pick the instructor but most OW students aren’t going to know a good or bad instructor from Adam.

Pick a local shop that treats you well in the shop. So eLearning and pool work at home, then do cert dives wherever warm.
When looking around for shops/instructors, I read lots of reviews for dive shops. Who I personally chose for my instructor came from many strong recommendations from SB. So, OP, read reviews, or go off recommendations.

Hi Russell, welcome to ScubaBoard. Sounds like you got bit by the bug pretty bad!

I agree with Kaylee that the difference between PADI and SSI open water courses is not very large, but some instructors are much better than others. And some dive shops treat customers better than others.

At a bare minimum you'll want your own mask. Every face is a little bit different, and you'll need just the right mask so that it doesn't leak all the time. I'd recommend trying on every single mask they have in the shop, and maybe do the same thing for a few shops. The fins/boots/snorkel are not quite as personal, but most divers will want their own, and these items are relatively cheap.

Whatever you do, don't buy any split fins, those things'll kill you :stirpot:
Oh boy, it took me a few masks before I found one that didn’t leak within 15 seconds. Mask fit is a must.
And if you do buy split fins, OP, I strongly suggest you do not make that purchase public. 🤣 you’ll be ripped to shreds, at least on SB.

Masks must fit and I'd definitely buy your own. I've only done maybe 20 charter boat day trips and always used my own equipment, but the sense I get is you'd pay a shop/dive op extra to rent mask/fins/snorkel, etc., not to mention other stuff like possibly wetsuit, BCD, weight belt, etc. My thought it shops may offer weights with no charge.
Only 2 times a year diving probably means renting makes more sense. Depends on what else you do on vacation, how much luggage space, etc.
I've heard that BCDs have been worn walking onto planes so not in checked bags that cost extra $. Owning your own regulator can also be advantageous-- also, unlike a rental, it only goes in your mouth.
Good luck with the course.

Hello,

Firstly, my name is Russell. I've gone diving exactly once in a heated pool at a training facility; it was a 'try it before you buy into it' quick class to see if I liked scuba diving or I liked the idea of scuba diving. I'm sure you can tell by my being here I LOVED IT, it was so much fun. Granted I was only able to go 6ft deep (insurance reasons) but it was so much fun, I didn't surface for close to 30 mins; this was a last weekend.

Fast forward to why I'm here, I've decided to get my Open Water certification.

Before I go to deep into writing my life story, I'm going to start lurking the forums to read what I can and find as many answers as possible. I do have three questions right out the gate though if someone could enlighten me a bit..

1. PADI or SSI? They seem pretty interchangeable and every island I've looked at where I can get my open water certification seems to use both, I've been reading articles online and their home pages and it seems the only major difference is the price, which is pretty much the same.
  2. Looking at my family's calendar February is when we have availability to head somewhere warm and for me to do the final leg of getting certified, living in Atlanta getting to the Caribbean is pretty easy but any recommendations on an island for a novice? Anywhere between Miami and Trinidad is reachable.
  3. Most of the places near me where I would do my pool training are trying to sell me on an equipment package (mask, snorkel, fins, etc) in your opinion are those worth it? I don't expect to be able to scuba dive more than two times a year and traveling with the gear just seems crazy. It also seems any company I would hire to take me on a dive provides all the hardware I would require. My inclination right now is to not buy it.
Anyhow, Hi...

Nice to meet everyone, I am looking forward to getting to know people while so I can make this a successful hobby.

Thanks
Russell
1) The agency doesn't matter and agencies are interchangeable at later levels. For example, you can do your OW, AOW under PADI and a specialty course under SSI. Agencies want to take you in. Most importantly, it's the specific instructor that makes a difference in your dive training, not the agency.

If I may share, my own Advanced OW instructor gave me 2 of the same lousy low lumen lights to choose from, one was white and the other was yellow, and I chose yellow. After the night dive when he revealed his super bright light, he laughed at me because I was choosing between 2 lousy lights. I felt ridiculed. You don't want this. So if you can, get a referral from someone who's taken a course in your area, or simple call or go down to the shop, have a chat with the instructor. Some may be absolutely willing to sit down and tell you more about the diving industry as a whole, and you'll learn a lot from there including the local industry.

3) It's not necessary to have any equipment of your own for OW. They will rent you a full set. I did mine with borrowed equipment and the instructor placed a lot of importance on finding me the right fit for the mask (because otherwise, water will leak into it, but you'll learn how to address this in the course comfortably).

Don't get equipment in sets, especially masks and snorkels. Because masks are a personal fit, they're often sold separately. After your course, if you like scuba diving, consider buying your personal mask as the first thing. The rest can be a dive computer (if your budget persists), wetsuit and fins.

Hope you enjoy your OW course!

3) It's not necessary to have any equipment of your own for OW. They will rent you a full set. I did mine with borrowed equipment and the instructor placed a lot of importance on finding me the right fit for the mask (because otherwise, water will leak into it, but you'll learn how to address this in the course comfortably).

Don't get equipment in sets, especially masks and snorkels. Because masks are a personal fit, they're often sold separately. After your course, if you like scuba diving, consider buying your personal mask as the first thing. The rest can be a dive computer (if your budget persists), wetsuit and fins.

Hope you enjoy your OW course!

You are obviously not from the US from your advice above.
In the US, it’s standard for students to be required to provide their own mask, snorkel, booties, and fins.

You are obviously not from the US from your advice above.
In the US, it’s standard for students to be required to provide their own mask, snorkel, booties, and fins.
It says on the left but it's good to be learning. What are the reasons for this?

Back
Top Bottom