Hi To All, From So Cal, First Post This Board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott Riemer:
Welcome to Scubaboard. Did 3 dives at Catalina with a 6.5mil., hood, boots, and gloves. Water temp was 58. I survived while I admit I have some natural insulation. Local diving is great, you should try it.
I guess when we get home we'll invest in some new rubber. I also have some natural insulation, actually I am just really short for my weight. This is one reason I am a little reluctant to put on the big rubber. We did our open water dives in a quarry in the mid 40's and almost quit scuba. Luckily our instructor kept chanting " warm water, clear water, pretty fish", a few weeks later we were off to Coz, and well now we're hooked big time. Anyway while doing the check out dive I was in a 7 mm layered suit, and had a lot less mobility than the Michelin man. To see anything it would have had to swim in front of my mask. We bought 3mm "Hyperstretch full suits" and they are like wearing Pj's, I don't think I would want to go back to feeling like the "Tin Man", but I hear the new 7mm Hyperstreach, is not quite so restrictive. For First So Cal dives which boat / trip would you recomend? Is nitrox available on most? We have our own tanks would we use them?
Thanks

Deuceman:
I guess when we get home we'll invest in some new rubber. I also have some natural insulation, actually I am just really short for my weight. This is one reason I am a little reluctant to put on the big rubber. We did our open water dives in a quarry in the mid 40's and almost quit scuba. Luckily our instructor kept chanting " warm water, clear water, pretty fish", a few weeks later we were off to Coz, and well now we're hooked big time. Anyway while doing the check out dive I was in a 7 mm layered suit, and had a lot less mobility than the Michelin man. To see anything it would have had to swim in front of my mask. We bought 3mm "Hyperstretch full suits" and they are like wearing Pj's, I don't think I would want to go back to feeling like the "Tin Man", but I hear the new 7mm Hyperstreach, is not quite so restrictive. For First So Cal dives which boat / trip would you recomend? Is nitrox available on most? We have our own tanks would we use them?
Thanks

For your first So Cal dives It is hard to beat the Dive Park in Avalon on Catalina Island. Take the early fary over and last one back. Round trip cost is $48. There is an air fill station right at the park. and they rent tanks there too. Maybe easyer then carying one. Avalon is a very easy dive. There are concrete stairs that go all the way to below the surface of the water and there is no surf. Lots to see at the 25 to 30 foot level and some wrecks at 60 to 100 ft. Very plentiful sea life too. If you go bring a good luggage cart

Next try local shore diving. It's free you just walk in. Best however to find a group (many informal groups around, just ask.) and let someone local tell you exactly where to go. Local beach diving is not as good as at Catalina but then the "hassel factor" is much less and you are home in time for early brunch.

Locally water is nice. Almost 70F at surface. My termometer read 68 last weekend at the surface but it gets cooler at depth getting into the high 50's below 60 feet. and low 50's deeper

Welcome to the board,
Grier

Back
Top Bottom