hid woes: 10w /18w / 21w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Metalsub USA:
We do offer a 40° flood reflector that you can change above water, most divers should know what focus they need before they start the dive.

Any plans for a wider relflector ? I shoot video and for my needs 40 degrees is not wide enough.

now im even more confused:) i do admit the metalsubs look awesome. first rate military spec gear. very robust and machined to perfection. my only concerns are that the battery is attached to the tank. this makes it unaccessible when diving. i like to get to any of my gear in an instand and being not able to reach it makes me paranoid. i am also concerned about the lightheads. they look kinda big. almsot like a huge magligt strapped to my hand. also a adjustable light head is important to me. youl never know when you need it as conditions can change in an instant. Also the metalsubs hid light settings can change from 50w, 35w, 24w even at these three setting i find the light too strong for my taste. is their even such a thing as too strong?

im keeping my options open now at least i have more choices but my decision making will be a tougher one. will wait and see

ronrosa:
Any plans for a wider relflector ? I shoot video and for my needs 40 degrees is not wide enough.

Hello Ronrosa,

For shooting video we have a diffusion glass ring that you use in conjunction with the 40° reflector. The flood reflector with the diffusion glass ring will widen the beam to about 60° to 75°, perfect for normal video lens.

Metalsub USA:
The on/off switch on the lid is another failure point and forces the diver to carry the large and cumbersome “can” on their hip where it gets in the way. Tank mounting your battery is the best place to put it, but you can’t do that if your on/off switch is on the battery can.

Hip mounting is advocated by several agencies teaching wreck and cave in the theory that the canister lights can be easilly swapped in long dives, or ditched in the event of bouyancy failure. Hip mounting also presents a more compact profile that can minimize collisions in overhead enviroments.

Tank mounting may also present itself as a snag point in either a cave or wreck, and interfere in either the deployment of the long hose or the manipulation of deco/stage bottles.

Spoon:
now im even more confused:) i do admit the metalsubs look awesome. first rate military spec gear. very robust and machined to perfection. my only concerns are that the battery is attached to the tank. this makes it unaccessible when diving. i like to get to any of my gear in an instand and being not able to reach it makes me paranoid. i am also concerned about the lightheads. they look kinda big. almsot like a huge magligt strapped to my hand. also a adjustable light head is important to me. youl never know when you need it as conditions can change in an instant. Also the metalsubs hid light settings can change from 50w, 35w, 24w even at these three setting i find the light too strong for my taste. is their even such a thing as too strong?

im keeping my options open now at least i have more choices but my decision making will be a tougher one. will wait and see

Hi Spoon,

“Is their even such a thing as too strong?” My short answer is NO, the only time I would say YES is if you are trying to shoot macro photos (extreme close-up) of nocturnal see creatures. Holding any “bright light” closer than three feet/one meter from a nocturnal see creature is not very nice!!! Which is why I promote two diver photo teams, one diver does the lighting (you get the best lighting angles) and the other diver does the camera work.

I can understand you paranoia with other can lights, but with the Metalsub quarter twist bayonet plug it cannot come unplugged unless a person pushes it in and twists it. Everything you need is on the lamp head, the on/off switch and the battery level indicator, once the battery in plugged in you don’t need to touch it until the dive is over. All that said, the Metalsub battery packs with the quick release system is designed to also attach to you BCD webbing or waist belt, it’s your choice if you want on your tank or belt. I like it on my tank.

As for size, yes the HID200 is big but not to big for a Goodman handle. I prefer to hang my HID200 head from my waist with a snap clip, this way I can let go of the light at any time and have both hands free to work while the light is shining at the floor or ground and not in anybodies eyes. The HID125 is small and very comfortable on the Goodman handle.

Twomixdiver:
Hip mounting is advocated by several agencies teaching wreck and cave in the theory that the canister lights can be easilly swapped in long dives, or ditched in the event of bouyancy failure. Hip mounting also presents a more compact profile that can minimize collisions in overhead enviroments.

Tank mounting may also present itself as a snag point in either a cave or wreck, and interfere in either the deployment of the long hose or the manipulation of deco/stage bottles.

Hi T W O M I X D I V E R

First of all, Scuba Stop Dive Shop should become a Metalsub retailer:D then you would see the advantages of our products.

Secondly, dive agencies make general rules for general types of equipment. Most canister light batteries have a large diameter of three to four inches, but the Metalsub battery packs (or Greenforce) are very thin. If a thin battery pack is mounted on the side of the air tank you will hit your shoulder or the top of your tank in a wreck or cave before the battery hits anything (see picture).

As for burn time, I would buy a light set up with a strong enough battery to last the full length of any dive I do. The HID125 with the 13 Ah battery has a burn time of 6 to 7 hours, if you are doing deep penetration cave dives lasting longer than 6 hours than you should have two completely separate HID124 and 13 Ah systems because you are doing some serious diving.

I see by the looks of your photo you wear a shorty, so you should be able to get buoyant by dumping your lead, If you truly would need to dump your 1.9 Kg battery, your buddy can do it by pushing the quick release button, hopefully they will carry the $1000 light up for you instead of dropping it too. In the cold waters of Michigan I need to carry 8 Kilos of lead to get down, so I would only think of dropping half as a last resort.

Finally close to a decision. am leaning towards the salvo 21's. not yet sure on what lighthead or what battery type. will have updates soon enough.

Spoon:
Finally close to a decision. am leaning towards the salvo 21's. not yet sure on what lighthead or what battery type. will have updates soon enough.

Spoon,

Just curious if to see if you looked at the Green Force systems and what your thoughts were.

Thanks - Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom