Hidden Worlds Cenotes - worth it??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shoc369

Registered
Reaction score
We will be staying in Cancun in May 2005. We are PADI Divemaster Candidates and have no fear/problems with the cave/overhead environment and/or buoyancy issues. We have never dived in a cave before but dive quarries here so we have the proper equipment for cooler water (5mm suit, hood, gloves. lights). We would be going with a certified cave guide (obviously).

That being said, do you receommmend diving the Cenotes while staying in Cancun? Is it worth the LONG travel time/expense to get to Hidden Worlds from Cancun?

I think this would be more of a once in a lifetime thing for us as we really like sun and warn water diving. Would you receommmend it?

Shoc369:
We will be staying in Cancun in May 2005. We are PADI Divemaster Candidates and have no fear/problems with the cave/overhead environment and/or buoyancy issues. We have never dived in a cave before but dive quarries here so we have the proper equipment for cooler water (5mm suit, hood, gloves. lights). We would be going with a certified cave guide (obviously).

That being said, do you receommmend diving the Cenotes while staying in Cancun? Is it worth the LONG travel time/expense to get to Hidden Worlds from Cancun?

I think this would be more of a once in a lifetime thing for us as we really like sun and warn water diving. Would you receommmend it?
Definitely worth the 2 hour drive.
Go to Hidden Worlds and try to get 2 or 3 dives in, there are several of the best cavern dives on the same property but they will not let you dive the prettiest (Heavens Gate) until after they have seen on a previous dive you are up to it.
I myself would stay the whole time in Tulum or Playa, but then I go there for cave diving only.
Give my regards to Rune, Paul and Dave if you get there

Mart

As for the 5mm, i think it would be over kill. we wore 3mm and had know problems. the temps were 74-76. But the Cenotes are definetly worth it.

This will be the best dive you've ever done........unreal.

Shoc369:

Yes, absolutely worth it! Have a great trip.

Thanks everyone for the input! Does anyone know if you can dive Dos Ojos for the first dive and then (if you've proven yourself), dive Dreamgate for the second dive?

P.S. I know a 5mm may be too much for most people. I guess I should've mentioned that I'm a freeze baby! I dive my 3mm fullsuit in 80+ degree water!

dlndavid - Thanks for the pics!

Shoc369:
Thanks everyone for the input! Does anyone know if you can dive Dos Ojos for the first dive and then (if you've proven yourself), dive Dreamgate for the second dive?
P.S. I know a 5mm may be too much for most people. I guess I should've mentioned that I'm a freeze baby! I dive my 3mm fullsuit in 80+ degree water!

dlndavid - Thanks for the pics!

First Dos Ojos and Dreamgat second is possible, and don't forget Grand Cenote and Taj Mahal for the second day! :11ztongue

I use a 5mm plus a 3mm underneath, sometimes a little too much on a long walk, but nice on these 2 hour or more dives.

Mart

If you are going to do just one dive, then a 3mm would be ok. I get cold quick and last time we dived the cenotes I had a core warmer, full 1mm and full 3mm (I like layers cause I can always shed one if I am warm, which is almost never.) and by the end of the second dive my legs and arms were getting a little cool. I find that 75 in the cenote seems cooler then 75 in the ocean. There's no sun coming through to warm you up at all. If you tend to get a chill on a 60 min dive in 75 in the ocean, wear your 5mm.

They won't take you to their new system, Dreamgate, until they've seen you dive in Dos Ojas. You can do a 2 tank at Dos Ojas - first dive, Dos Ojas, second is Bat Cave.

Back
Top Bottom