High Pressure vs. Low Pressure Steel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Also, if you are interested in using steel cylinders for many years, avoid chronic overfills. It's not a short-term problem, but over the course of years your cylinder walls will lose their elasticity ... which will cause them to eventually fail hydro. Avoiding overfills minimizes this as a potential issue.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Are you sure about that?

Also, if you are interested in using steel cylinders for many years, avoid chronic overfills. It's not a short-term problem, but over the course of years your cylinder walls will lose their elasticity ... which will cause them to eventually fail hydro. Avoiding overfills minimizes this as a potential issue.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)[/QUOTE]
Hmmm, as the PST's are rated for 10000 fills to hydro pressure, not sure what you mean by this. If I get that many dives on my cave filled tanks, I will be in Nirvana.

Thanks everyone for all of the information. It's quite helpful, though having more options and understanding the set of trade-offs more still makes it not totally easy.

Right now the best sounding tanks for me are the (along with what I gather are advantages/disadvantages):

PST E7-100 -- Smaller profile and weight than LP 100, downside is maybe I won't get full fills, negatively buoyant when empty
Faber 100 -- Better chance of full fills, same size as aluminum 80, low pressure may be easier on equipment, very negatively buoyant
PST E8-119 -- Even with less than a full fill still yields plenty of air, same profile as the Faber 95, disadvantage is that it is the heaviest of the three and most expensive.

Ok, so I am narrowing down on a choice. Is it just personal preference for these trade-offs now, or does anyone think I am should eliminate one of these options? Maybe the 119 is overkill... The whole debate about which is more likely to rust on the inside that I found while poking around elsewhere was a bit dizzying...

Thanks again!

I just ordered the PST E7-100. Thanks for all of the input! It was hard to find one of those in stock somewhere. I am looking forward to getting it, then getting out and diving it! The overall weight/buoyancy characteristics and the finish of the E7-100 are what convinced me to go for that one. Plus, I don't have to readjust my straps if I go somewhere with only Al-80s.

Cheers,

raposarose:
I just ordered the PST E7-100. Thanks for all of the input! It was hard to find one of those in stock somewhere. I am looking forward to getting it, then getting out and diving it! The overall weight/buoyancy characteristics and the finish of the E7-100 are what convinced me to go for that one. Plus, I don't have to readjust my straps if I go somewhere with only Al-80s.

Cheers,
Good move :wink:
I bought 2 E-7's a while back and they've been great. I went wreck diving in NC, deep dives and was coming up with a 1000 psi. after some decent dive times. The boat guidlines were to dive the rule of thirds so these tanks were perfect.
I'm sometimes getting 2 dives a tank on local / shallower dives. Plus 6# or so off the belt. All good. Glad I bought 'em when they were still relatively cheap.

I have 2 worthington x7-hp 100. They are shorter than 80's and hold more air. The one problem is I usually don't get a full fill when it's cooled, but at 3000 psi I still have about 87 cf. The next tanks I get will probably be low pressure because it is easy to get a fill and they can be overfilled a little.

wmspdi:
Besides my OOA reserve is a 19" pony for deep dives

How does a 19 inch pony ride? Doesn't your pony get gittery at those depths? Mine get spooked when a snake crawls through the pasture and they are 16 hands.

WediveBC:
Are you sure about that?

Are you disputing it?

Filling to hydro pressure (3457 or whatever on the E-series) is not overfilling. Filling a 3500 psi rated tank to 4000+ psi is definately shortening the life of your tank.

jjsteffen:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Hmmm, as the PST's are rated for 10000 fills to hydro pressure, not sure what you mean by this. If I get that many dives on my cave filled tanks, I will be in Nirvana.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was that (by design) they were supposed to *fail* at around 10,000 fills at hydro pressure. Also, they are not held at that pressure for very long during the testing.

That said, I dont see a huge problem overfilling an LP to say 3000 hot. The original poster said *chronic* overfilling -- which might mean different things to different people.

raposarose:

Cheers,

I use the PST E7-100, LP80 (same size just LP instead of HP), Worthington X8-119 and they are all fine tanks. If you want to beach dive, the 119 might be a bit much to carry, but I dont seem to have any huge problems with it.

I try to avoid painted tanks if I can, and all the fabers I have seen are painted.

Back
Top Bottom