Hilton Head Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefbuilder

Registered
Reaction score
I am heading down to Hilton Head the first week of August. I would love to bring my gear and get a dive or two in. Can anyone give me some direction or advice on that area? I was certified recently in March but have been on a couple of trips already and am loving this activity. My 10 year old daugter just got certified, SSI, and would love to go also but I don't know about the depth in that area since I want her to stick with 40 feet or less.

reefbuilder:
I am heading down to Hilton Head the first week of August. I would love to bring my gear and get a dive or two in. Can anyone give me some direction or advice on that area? I was certified recently in March but have been on a couple of trips already and am loving this activity. My 10 year old daugter just got certified, SSI, and would love to go also but I don't know about the depth in that area since I want her to stick with 40 feet or less.
We looked into it in 2001, found that the only diveshop on HH was closed years ago, so we went elsewhere. Check with Savannah Scuba or Zero Gravity Divers for info on local dives. I read that people dive in the May river, but it's Zero visibility diving, probably not something you/your daughter should take on until you've more experience.

This search will get you started here, if it doesn't work, just pull down the searchbox at the top of this window and type in Hilton Head:

http://www.scubaboard.com/search.php?searchid=1588415

Also you might want to ask this question in the Deep Dixie Divers forum here. Unless one of our moderators moves this question there.

I was there more than once in the 80's, from my recollection it's shallow a long way out off the beach. So although it might be boring, you wouldn't have to worry about the depth.

Or consider Charleston. It's a bit of a drive, but at least there is some diving there.
http://charlestonscuba.com/

reefbuilder:

Hi there. I would suggest Fantasia Scuba in Savannah first Eddie Cox is the owner and he has a new charter. I haven't been on it but knowing Eddie he's doing a great job with it and it is very competitive in pricing compared to others. (FANTASIA SCUBA
3 MONTGOMERY CROSSROAD, SAVANNAH, GA 31406 Phone: (912) 921-8933) Tell him Robyn in Beaufort sent you. (Captain Terry - out of Midway GA - is a great charter but you it is a six pack and you may have to pay the full price to take the charter if it isn't filled.) The drive will be closer for you than Charleston. As mentioned above, if you want to dive with a Charleston shop I suggest Charleston Scuba. Sally and Tom have a pretty good setup. (Charleston Scuba 335 Savannah Hwy CHARLESTON, SC 29407 Phone: (843) 763-3483 ) If you are okay with dark water diving (and your daughter) we can get you in the rivers and maybe you can take home some "treasure" found in the fossil beds here. The May River is right there where you will be. If that's the case send me an email at RavenC@scubaboard.com. BUT this diving is not for the faint of hearts. No visibility and swift currents are tough.

Hope this helps. R

PS Zero Gravity is always difficult to get ahold of....

Thank you. I have booked a charter with Captain Terry and I think it will be a full boat. We are heading out to Gray's Reef on 7/31. I guess my daughter will have to wait for a better opportunity. I may still look into the other information you have provided so thanks for the info.

Have fun Terry and Judy run a fine charter. I have always had a number one experience with them. R

RavenC:
Have fun Terry and Judy run a fine charter. I have always had a number one experience with them. R

We're diving with Terry (TLC Charters) this weekend, heading to Grays Reef. You'll definitely enjoy the dive. We'll post a trip report next week.

A.

Back
Top Bottom