History Channel - Tactical to Practical

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, Boys and Girls,

I didn't get a chance to see the show, but, from the comments, I gather it was hilariously pathetic! Kind of like an up-dated version of "Sea Hunt"! I still love re-runs of "Sea Hunt", but as we all know, almost all of that was bad procedure! Sounds as if this guy Ellis did not get very good instruction or guidance from his advisor. We do know, however, that a lot of things turn out very differently than they should when done for the camera.

As for goin' fast and burnin' the gas (or volts in this case), it is really great, as long as you are not committing CFIT! (Controlled Flight Into Terrain)

Cheers, folks!=-)

Yeah - I cringed when I saw him bashing the coral, going into a slight overhead environ with a scooter that gave him almost no clearance on either side. Mmmm.... UW habitat destruction.

I did find the initial discussion of evolution of Navy diving and Navy SEAL equipment to be somewhat interesting, though. The idea that pure O2 rebreathers were being used in the 30's and 40's is sorta scary.

I found his discussion of the UW radio the most amusing,though. He's talking about how the full-face-mask and UW radio is so great.... and what do the SEALs use? Hand signals, which he seems to scoff at. After watching his running UW commentary, I told my wife that I'm never using a UW radio.

:upset: :upset: :upset:
I thought Dan was going to go through the roof or at least start throwing things at the TV while watching that crap!

What was going through the producers head(s)?? "Let's show the yet untrained how to be a HORRIBLE diver before they hit their LDS!"

So now there's millions more who think it's OK, no COOL, to walk around on the coral and hold onto things and slam into things that take years to grow!

Wasn't that horrible french idiot on Ushaia bad enough???

What moron got paid to be their technical consultant?? History Channel deserves a refund and should contribute those funds to a Marine Preservation society as penance!

SB should forward this thread to the producers so they know what garbage they are generating.

Virgil once bubbled...
the more i watch TV programmes about/including diving the more picky i seem to be about their content. i don't know if i'm getting less tolerant or the programmes are becomming worse or a combination of the two.

either way it must be about time that a new diving programme is put together. either a Sea Trek for the new Millenium or, given the increasing number of reality TV programmes out now, what about one following a dive school?

My brother called me half way through the program and told me to tune in... Not so much to make fun of the divers - but just to gloat as he had been out on that very wreck last saturday morning... Ahh the bastige - plunging and twisting the knife in my back since it look slike he'll be moving to florida soon and have the playground available every day......!

I found it funny a "divemaster" was their so called expert... Not to put down divemasters - just that instructors off all levels should have been readily available.

What went through my mind is, if that is how Navy Seals are tought to dive, then we are in a lot of trouble. That guy was horrible.

gzscuba once bubbled...
Yeah - I cringed when I saw him bashing the coral, going into a slight overhead environ with a scooter that gave him almost no clearance on either side. Mmmm.... UW habitat destruction.

hunter ellis is not a navy seal. he was a fighter pilot. the only seal they showed that was not file footage was a guy in a pool wearing a ccr.

hunter ellis is not a navy seal. he was a fighter pilot. the only seal they showed that was not file footage was a guy in a pool wearing a ccr.

Not true. The guy that was guiding Hunter Ellis through the wreck WAS a Navy SEAL. I heard them mention that fact twice during that segment of the show. In fact I distinctly remember it because they described him as, " ..a former active Navy SEAL " or something like that and I remember thinking it was kind of odd that called him a " former active Navy SEAL" instead of just a " former "Navy SEAL"

How bad is this show?

So bad that if you run a search for "tactical" on the history channel, it doesn't list the show....

:wacko:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom